Railway sleeper finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smouser

Established Member
Reaction score
I am considering a railway sleeper furniture project. I am looking for a dark rough finish on the sleepers.
I have done some research and it the only two types of sleeper you can easily get in the UK that does not have any creosote or other nasty treatment done to them are Jarrah and Azobe.

Basically this is the type of finish I would like to achieve:
Table.jpg

Table 2.jpg

My choices are Jarrah sleepers or Azobe sleepers.
This is how the Jarrah looks like:
Jarrah.jpg

jarrah 2.jpg

Do you think I would get a finish similar to what I want and what kind of techniques/products would I need to achieve similar results as the posted samples.
I know old railway sleeper is hard to work with but that is what I want.

Any advice appreciated.

*edit*
I have found a few threads on the internet of people asking for some advice regarding sleeper furniture and there is usually plenty of comments about contamination/hard to work/use other alternatives etc etc.
I have read up on al the pro's and con's and I am aware of them but I made up my mind on using railway sleepers.

Attachments

• Table 2.jpg
    Table 2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 587
  • Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 587
  • Jarrah.jpg
    Jarrah.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 587
  • jarrah 2.jpg
    jarrah 2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 587
Hi

Sleepers will be full of grit which will play havoc with any cutting tool, they may be contaminated with diesel and almost certainly with effluent :cry: - I think I'd be looking to artificially age oak.

Regards Mick

Back