Radio 4: The Man Who Made Things Out of Trees

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevM

Established Member
Reaction score
BBC Radio4":1xxb80rc said:
The Man Who Made Things Out of Trees Episode 1 of 5

In 2012, Robert Penn felled (and replanted) a great ash from a Welsh wood. He set out to explore the true value of the tree of which we have made the greatest and most varied use in human history. How many things can be made from one tree?

Over the next two years he travelled across Britain, to Europe and the USA, to the workshops and barns of a generation of craftsmen committed to working in wood. He watched them make over 45 artefacts and tools that have been in continual use for centuries, if not millennia.

Today, he begins his search for the perfect tree in woodland near his South Wales home. It's a bitter, Elizabethan winter and snow lies on the forests. After a long hunt, he gets a call from a forester in Herefordshire.

This is a tale about the joy of making things in wood, of its touch and smell, its many uses and the resonant, calming effect of running our hands along a wooden surface. It is a celebration of man's close relationship with this greatest of natural materials and a reminder of the value of things made by hand and made to last.

Book on Amazon, also available from a diminishing number of high streets... as per Phil's post below.

Edited to make it clear(er) that this is an excerpt from the BBC's Radio 4 website.

What a coincidence. This book is Book of the Week on radio 4 this week. Mike

nagden":h91bqqfq said:
What a coincidence. This book is Book of the Week on radio 4 this week. Mike

I think that was the point of Kev's post rather than a coincidence - he referred to Radio 4 in the subject line and included a link to the relevant page on iPlayer.

Bale":gpyh5f2a said:
Sadly, not an original idea, and if I remember the One Tree project right, they managed to find more uses for the timber. http://www.onetree.org.uk/

Pete

I've not read Rob Penn's work, nor that which accompanied the One Tree project - indeed I wasn't even aware of the One Tree project. Other than hoping to make a few people aware of something that might interest them I've not got any axe to grind here (single bevelled, double bevelled or otherwise), but... I'm not sure why the existence of the One Tree project devalues Rob Penn's project to the point of "Sadly...", nor does the sheer number of artefacts created in each project signify success or failure to me.

Setting aside plagiarism, which would be a totally different discussion, the concept that unless an enterprise is wholly original it is in some way second-rate is utterly unsustainable in art, literature, science, engineering, exploration, food,... Originality purely for the sake of originality is the enemy of quality; if originality is our principal criterion for quality then we see a predictable slide into a competition for who can be most shocking. Shakespeare was frequently the purveyor of old wine in new bottles, polishing each story as he went and adapting it to the tastes of his audience, was he any the less for that?

So, instead of "Sadly, not an original idea, ..." I would say "It's great to see another enterprise along the same lines as ..." - it's not a competition, there's room for both (and further) projects.

K.

Sorry folks.

I didn't mean to diminish Rob Penn's work in any way, or to imply criticism.

I was actually responding to the Radio 4 broadcast, which I heard this morning, and my first reaction to that was sadness that the One Tree project had not been documented in the same way that Mr Penn has done with his. He is bringing a different and personal viewpoint to the subject, which I am sure will be fascinating, and I look forward to following this for the rest of the week. I got a bit mixed up with my post; I hope you won't hold it against me.

Pete

(Edit) PS. Kev, you're right, of course. That was a very eloquent rebuttal.

Hi Pete,

No need for any apologies, it's all just healthy discussion.

I think one lesson, at least for me, from the two projects is that in many of these projects the actual work is often eclipsed by how effectively the message is handled. I know 21st century media makes it easier to get the message out there, but at the same time there's a lot more static and interference to cut through. It'll be interesting to look back through the retro-spect-oscope in another dozen years and see how things are going.

K.

KevM":1t6o7jfe said:
I think one lesson, at least for me, from the two projects is that in many of these projects the actual work is often eclipsed by how effectively the message is handled.

There you go again. Another spot-on observation. The One Tree project (and there have been others) was documented by an illustrative book with many photographs. I borrowed it from a library at the time, I've only seen it once, and it left an indelible impression. The Man Who Made Things Out of Trees is a different animal: a narrative. I think perhaps I should read it before making any further comments :wink:

But to pick up on your comment about 21st century media: I am astounded by the generosity, knowledge and (video) skills that so many people show by posting instructional videos on Youtube. Yes, there is a lot of static, and a problem about internet posting is that editorial control is in the hands of the poster, but if you can winnow through the chaff, there is some astonishing stuff out there. To do it myself, I wouldn't know where to begin .

Pete

Agree with you Pete B, as I have not seen/heard this new project, I don't feel able to comment.

However, I did drag an unwilling wife and at least 1 daughter to the OneTree exhibition when it was in Bristol Art Gallery and they, and I were blown away by the range of items and the breadth of artistic vision. Get a copy of the book and be amazed. I seem to remeber that it was an Oak Tree from an estate in Cheshire, but I could be wrong (as my wife will tell you!)

Phil

Latest posts

Back