Radian Cutters - their latest offerings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
you may recall that a short time ago there was a thread running regarding the introduction of four flute router cutters made by Radian Cutters four-flute-router-bits-t53556-15.html?hilit=radian and I have been using my cutter heavily since I received it and I have got to say that it is still performing like new after countless metres of machining to templates.

Anyway, just before Easter I was talking to David at Radian and I have today been testing their latest offerings. These are:-

A four flute Chamfer Cutter

DSCF4735.jpg

and a four flute rebate cutter with shear action

DSCF4733.jpg

I'm not going to post loads of piccies of very fine shavings, nor tell you how smooth they are in use because all I can really say about them is :-

THEY ARE BL**DY FANTASTIC

Does that convey it well enough!

Ok a bit more detail,

The bearing guided chamfer cutter will not cause any breakout at the end of an end grain pass

DSCF4765.jpg

And look at the end grain shavings produced.

=P~ =P~ =P~

Thanks Roger, I think we have converted you to our approach :D No-one likes breakout!

looking forward to seeing the full review.

Cheers

Hudson Carpentry":1hqt7r0o said:
Ohh they look nice. Are you planing on expending the range soon?

+1
Yes Please and if so :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Can I make a request that also make a set of Dovetail cutters for jigwork (like the woodrat) that will resemble hand cut dovetails (longer, Finer slopes)
As for some reason the ones I got from woodrat just didn't work well for me ( I actually binned them :oops: :oops: )
Mind you that was almost 8 years ago

Roger

I understand from David that the round over, ovolo and ogee cutters should soon be available - the range is steadily increasing.

I have to say that these cutters are truly superb, I am a real convert and would recommend them unreservedly!

Yes, we are growing the ranges steadily with the sales. It's been pretty exciting so far. We have a list of cutters we'd like to do in future. Its not quite as easy as just squeezing in a few more blades and carbide, especially on some profiles. We might do a poll on the forums in future to see what people use most.

But as Roger let slip! yes we have a few others around the corner too!! Three sizes of combined round-over & ovolo. Not yet the ogee.

For me - Straight cutters 10mm and 12.5mm are most used. I need some new round overs (larger size). After that its probably Cove and bevel then trimmers.

I make quite a lot of TGV but I use either a straight cutter or the table saw, I always use a bevel bit for the V. However recently I have been looking for an adjustable TG cutter set but can't find any that adjustable.

Well very nice I have to say, so well done to Radian tools. I like your approach and always welcome seeing new innovation. The Four Flute Rebate Router Cutter Set might well be purchased very soon.

Hi All. 3 sizes of Roundover and Ovolo Cutter are now in stock. R6.3, R9.5 R12.5mm

From starting a single product company mid-recession to the current range is pretty good. Thanks for the support from UKWS readers.

Attachments

• RadianTools Family.jpg
    RadianTools Family.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 888
Well done mate, it's impressive seeing British manufacturing companies doing so well at this time. The site looks impressive and I've bookmarked it for when I need my next router bit. One piece of feedback I would give, is that it would be useful to include a simple picture of the profile cut by each bit on the bit's main page. I appreciate you can get to that through the tools specs page, but as your range expands, it would be better to be able to see at a glance which bit does what, rather than going through each one in turn.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Noggsy

RogerBoyle":2djyw71b said:
Hudson Carpentry":2djyw71b said:
Ohh they look nice. Are you planing on expending the range soon?

+1
Yes Please and if so :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Can I make a request that also make a set of Dovetail cutters for jigwork (like the woodrat) that will resemble hand cut dovetails (longer, Finer slopes)
As for some reason the ones I got from woodrat just didn't work well for me ( I actually binned them :oops: :oops: )
Mind you that was almost 8 years ago

Roger

Roger, the thing about the Woodrat cutters is that to get the very narrow "necks" required for very fine dovetails it's almost impossible to braze lumps of carbide onto the basic cutter, so they're made from solid HSS. This means that they have to be (and can be) sharpened. This isn't a problem with the 'Rat cutters 'cos you can make allowance for reduction in diameter by adjusting the spacings on the 'Rat. You can't do that with the Dovetail jigs on the market as everything is fixed to constant angles and spacings.

http://www.woodrat.com/bits.html

Cheers for the feedback Noggsy. Always useful to hear thoughts on how we could improve the site aswell.

phil.p":100il7on said:
I would have thought the rebate cutter sheared in the wrong direction?

Phil, the rebate cutter is designed to cope with removing large volumes of material and its very important that the chips are ejected away from the bottom of the rebate, hence the up shear. 4 flute cutters give an extremely fine finish so the increased chance of compromising the top edge is minimal relative to standard bits.

Back