• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Radial Arm Saws or Cross cut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

A

Anonymous

:twisted:
Has anyone purchased a radial arm saw. Is there a reasonable model for under £600, the dewalt seems to start around this price. Screwfix are selling a Charnwood for £600, and the Hegner UNICUT 2 is £200 and the Eumenia is around £500 (but i think they don't exist anymore)
Can anyone feed back some information on the above, quality or accuracy.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Alot of it depends what you intend to build. For most cutting operations a decent quality sliding mitre saw will address most tasks. I bought a DW 720 in 02, kept it for 3 or 4 months, found I didn't really use it enough to justify the expense and sold it on. Lost about £50 so not too painful. The extra cross cut capacity was handy on very rare occasions, I didn't need to rip with it and had no use for an overhead router.
DeWalt seem to have the best design although I haven't used the other models mentioned. If I was in your position again I'd do my level best to find an old Power Shop version (mostly green as opposed to yellow) for about £200 and ensure the arm bearings and bearing surfaces are in good order. Would imagine Scrit would have more information on the old Power Shop models.

Rgds

Noel

Ham

Established Member
Reaction score
I've a Powershop Radial arm saw purchased some 20 years ago. It is now very worn and consequentially inaccurate. Spare parts have been non-existent for many years. Although the saw provided me with years of very good service it had one very big fault - one needed to wear two pairs of eardefenders due to the noise!

Cheers

David

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to get into all sorts of heated debates about the merits of a RAS but basically gave up when it became clear that (a) no-one really believed me and (b) that you cannot buy a new RAS, in the UK at least, which is half as good as a very old DeWalt.

Much of their attraction (eg versatility) has been eroded by EC rules (try buying a moulding head for one) the ever decreasing quality of new saws - seemingly determined to prove those people right who say they are not accurate and the rise of SCMS etc.

My advice, despite being an ardent admirer of a good RAS, is don't get one unless you are sure it's the tool you want and you fully understand all the implications