Radial Arm Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Labourer

Established Member
Reaction score
It's probably time to replace my Delta chop-saw with a larger capacity radial arm saw. What should I look for, what would you chaps recommend?

This is a question you don't see every day :D

I'd be looking for something like a Wadkin BRA, very well-built, plenty of power, and not a massive machine as far as space is concerned. I think there was a few different sizes to be had like 12", 14" and 16" blade sized machines with varying powers, some being single phase (I also believe they can be run off an inverter or VFD if three-phase). They don't fetch silly money on your average auction site either, could easily pick one up for £300-500. There are other Wadkins, Dominions, Robinsons, Maggi, and Stromab machines to be had but they're usually very massive, very pricey or very 3-phase, But that doesn't matter too much if you've got the space, cash and three-phase on tap :)

Daltons Wadkins has a couple of excellent archive videos on the BRA and its various operations.
[youtube]Ykr7dTHNMk0[/youtube]
[youtube]rjPCyttzrPc[/youtube]

I have a Wadkin BRA, superb machine that’s ‘perfectly’ accurate.

The only things I’m aware of that need to be checked on these saws are
1. There is a hex head in the end of the spindle that often is rounded out making blade change a little more tricky.
2. The carriage on the arm slides on 4 special bearing rollers. If these are worn, I’m not aware you can get replacements and would been to be made. They determine the accuracy of the slide.
3. The motor has bearings that need to be greased. Often it’s a job that occurred in the factory and never since. Verify the shaft of the motor isn’t worn. It’s a special motor with a flattened bottom.

Other than that they are just about bomb proof. Download the manual off Daltons web site to follow the simple setup procedure which I’ve only had to do once and your good to go.

BRA rail bearings are available from TT machinery in Desford, should anyone need them. The chap there was also telling me that radials dont need a DC brake to comply with regs - as the regs state it has to return to a guarded position within 10 seconds a return spring on the carriage does the job!

Back