Radacanu

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst I appreciate her incredible talent. I'm already really fed up hearing about her. :)

Greatest thing until the next greatest- most greatesting thing amazinger ever!

Girl wins tennis - media pushes it as far as possible as a favor to endorsers and as clickbait (and not just news now, we need one news article - who won - and 125 commentary articles that range from feel good to linking in politics).

No thanks. Culminates in overpriced tennis shirts and shoes made at lowest possible price.

The only real record set each time is how much disparity there is in what we buy as a result of the endorsements and what it cost to make it - leaving more and more room for larger "record" endorsement deals.

Posting that on a thread specifically about the person you are fed up hearing about is a tad contradictive. Just saying...
Yes. it is, but that's what forums are all about. Having a say, expressing an opinion. It was said with humour. If someone was making too much noise, you would make more noise telling them to be quiet. We all do it.
I really think she is amazing, but I get fed up with the media frenzy that followed. It has an unfortunate habit of turning bad.

I really think she is amazing, but I get fed up with the media frenzy that followed. It has an unfortunate habit of turning bad.

you could only wish it was actually over. The commentary bits have just begun, and the virtue signaling will flow from it as will admonishing other people for various this and that nonsense. They'll user her name to draw attention to the same old immature fighting and browbeating.

Separately, given Piers Morgan's comments about pressure, I think he should be given a no-option match against this woman. She wins, he loses his job. He wins, he gets to keep it and everyone apologizes for calling him a jerk.

I had no idea who the girl was, but just googled to see if the whole "listen to my opinion" crapola is ongoing (of course it is) and see that he had comments about how athletes should handle pressure. How would he have a clue. I don't think he could hit a soccer ball with a tennis racket.

you could only wish it was actually over. The commentary bits have just begun, and the virtue signaling will flow from it as will admonishing other people for various this and that nonsense. They'll user her name to draw attention to the same old immature fighting and browbeating.
Well yes, you could do all that. Or you could just enjoy watching an 18 year old girl, just out of school, achieve something never done before by man or woman - rise through the qualifying rounds to win a major tennis championship. And not just fluke it - win every set on the way.

It may not be a big deal for Americans who can throw vast amounts of money at their young athletes. We're used to being underdogs, It's a VERY big deal for us.

It may not be a big deal for Americans who can throw vast amounts of money at their young athletes. We're used to being underdogs, It's a VERY big deal for us.

I'm kind of reminded of the williams sisters, who grew up in Compton, California (and didn't play in a club - they were coached by their father, who got motivated after seeing someone play tennis and they played on public courts). If you want to talk about unlikely, you can start there.

Serena was already known 1999 when she won the US open at the same age (or younger?) as radacanu, seeded at 7 for the US open at age 18. Not sure what age Venus was for her first win.

We're in the era of young prodigies with kids being private or home schooled and losing their childhood to full time sports commitment, but younger ladies making it in tennis isn't uncommon (winning a GS event is less common, but getting farm isn't as uncommon)

It's a yawner in the states now because it's routine and because it's not relatable. We like to imagine some kind of story where someone beats the odds and lands in a nice spot. I just read the Williams story - their dad pushed them into tennis and decided they'd be pros and started them at 4 1/2 (and later says he wished he would've waited until they were 6 -it would've been more appropriate ....ghee).

But to agree with one part of what you said - I like to watch the event if i'm watching it, and then nothing further is needed afterward. What we knew less of in the past was because we were allowed to watch just the event and see limited follow up commentary. Now, the girl's name is being used for one opinion writer to beat another over the head with.

The Williams sisters, admirable though their trials and tribulations may be, never won a Grand Slam tournament after coming through the qualifying rounds. Three weeks of hard slog and not dropping a single set. That's what makes it so astonishing.

The Williams sisters, admirable though their trials and tribulations may be, never won a Grand Slam tournament from the qualifying rounds. That's what makes it so astonishing.
A great bit of the story for me is that Miss Radacanu had her plane ticket home booked and couldn’t use it as she kept winning.

All the indications seem to be that she has the makings of a great role model who will hopefully inspire more youngsters to play tennis.

I think some on this thread will only be happy when everybody is as miserable as themselves. Determined to see bad in the best of things. We all know them and in real life we avoid em 😀 I thought it was fabulous, haven’t watched a tennis match with such enthusiasm since the 1970’s.

I think some on this thread will only be happy when everybody is as miserable as themselves. Determined to see bad in the best of things. We all know them and in real life we avoid em 😀 I thought it was fabulous, haven’t watched a tennis match with such enthusiasm since the 1970’s.

Much to do less with the sport(s) - I was bonkers about sports when I was a kid and you watched it and it was sports. Now, I guess the news is just what we're engaging in now - obsession with repetition after the sport is over and then commentary. The whole social media and news commentary and data mining has kind of ruined it for me. It takes us all out of the present.

I'd never heard of her before Wimbledon but was very impressed. What she achieved at the US was insanely good. Even though, I was expecting a chance of her bottling it in the final...wow! I was happy to be proved wrong.
Hope the fame/attention doesn't become overwhelming.

I think she is a wee star, what she did was amazing. I was absolutely delighted to see her win.

Phew!!! I hope that gets me out of trouble. :)

I think she is a wee star, what she did was amazing. I was absolutely delighted to see her win.

Phew!!! I hope that gets me out of trouble. :)
If you were getting in to trouble just think you took the flac off some other poor soul that usualy gets it from them that carps ( yes she was amazing i fully concur )

Might as well start engraving that "Sports Personality of the Year" award now.
Well deserved, of course, but what a tedious programme that's become over the years....
Agree entirely, I don't watch the programme anymore. Presented by another grossly overpaid ex-footballer!
Also, I think that football should be removed from it as there are too few sports(persons) involved, generally speaking they are mostly disrespectful, arrogant, cheating, overpaid morons.

Greatest thing until the next greatest- most greatesting thing amazinger ever!

Girl wins tennis - media pushes it as far as possible as a favor to endorsers and as clickbait (and not just news now, we need one news article - who won - and 125 commentary articles that range from feel good to linking in politics).

No thanks. Culminates in overpriced tennis shirts and shoes made at lowest possible price.

The only real record set each time is how much disparity there is in what we buy as a result of the endorsements and what it cost to make it - leaving more and more room for larger "record" endorsement deals.

Fred Perry stuff is still expensive and that was a long time ago now....

Latest posts

Back