Qusetion to moderator before new thread posting.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Not wanting to fall foul of any rules, guidelines or indeed restrictions, but also aware that this is going to be contentious post I am asking before I post.
Given that the trial in USA of David Michael Chauvin is now over, giving that the jury have now given a verdict. Are we allowed a discussion as this can not influence or effect a jury now.
Are you going to allow this, if not please advise under what forum rules i will be prohibited from having this post.
Thanks in advance for your consideration and advice.

I've followed the events surrounding this trial, having some interest in the cultural and political implications, both in the US and the different situation in the UK (c.f. recent report to government on matters pertaining to race).

It's political. VERY political. It needs to fully, and properly, discussed - in the proper forums.

This is a woodworking forum. Not a political one.

The events and implications of the Chauvin trial and matters pertaining to it are of deep importance, but potentially VERY contentious.

My suggestion is that this forum - a woodworking forum - is NOT the right place to explore them. Whenever we get involved in politics, bad stuff happens on this forum. Let's stick to woodworking and jokes, and leave the politics for elsewhere.

A woodworking forum is exactly the sort of place where these thing should be discussed - given a bit of good will and no back biting.
The reasons - you get a diversity of opinion, from different corners of the world too - there is clearly a demand for this sort of discussion - arguably the democratic process NEEDS exchange of opinion rather than confirmatory bias caused by the echo chambers, instead it obliges people to examine their prejudices and misunderstandings - and it's interesting.
Anyway the Chauvin verdict looks utterly uncontroversial to me - it was murder, filmed, recorded, witnessed by many. The only issue is what happens next.
PS CC doesn't have to join in if he doesn't want to!

I agree with Jacob, however 2 points.
Unfortunately the demographics of this forum are mainly white men. I'd rather a thread was lead by the black community who could give first hand experiences. Therefore I'd look elsewhere for understanding better.
There will be an appeal, I agree with the verdict but fear due to politicians unable to understand how trials work and expressing opinions for popularity they have probably given ground for a successful appeal.

I am not a moderator but have mentioned this topic in a thread and am still alive, have not been moderated as yet!!

55982686.jpg

Man kills other man, goes to trial legal verdict given.

What could possibly be political.?

From an american's point of view - the court saw more actual detail than we ever will, they made a verdict and justice is served. I could only wish that any person who hoped for conflict afterwards thinks "I wonder what I could do for a neighbor or an acquaintance tomorrow and move the needle in the positive direction."

I wouldn't discuss the whole thing with anyone here because I don't like politics and I suspect a lot of people have chosen what they think the answer should be based on politics. Which might as well be pro wrestling. fans of pro wrestling go in knowing who they want to win. They don't care what actually happens. If the good guy cheats, it was warranted. if the bad guy cheats, he should be stabbed.

I
There will be an appeal, I agree with the verdict but fear due to politicians unable to understand how trials work and expressing opinions for popularity they have probably given ground for a successful appeal.

tying the hated business language thing into this - with politicians, confidence seems to trump (not that Trump) competence every time.

The business communication thing going around these days is to tell technical people that they should be more confident so that they can compete with getting there message out there with those who are confident but not competent.

I get the impression the police face abuse, lies, violence against them routinely.
They must arrest people all the time who say they feel ill.

against that, it's possible to see how the line of excessive force gets blurred.

I guess the approach the police have ranges from empathy to murderous sadistic intent.
Where does Chauvin fall in this spectrum? - my gut feeling is high enough for the verdict to be correct.

A woodworking forum is exactly the sort of place where these thing should be discussed - given a bit of good will and no back biting.
The reasons - you get a diversity of opinion, from different corners of the world too - there is clearly a demand for this sort of discussion - arguably the democratic process NEEDS exchange of opinion rather than confirmatory bias caused by the echo chambers, instead it obliges people to examine their prejudices and misunderstandings - and it's interesting.
Anyway the Chauvin verdict looks utterly uncontroversial to me - it was murder, filmed, recorded, witnessed by many. The only issue is what happens next.
PS CC doesn't have to join in if he doesn't want to!

Please post in new forum.

I get the impression the police face abuse, lies, violence against them routinely.
They must arrest people all the time who say they feel ill.

against that, it's possible to see how the line of excessive force gets blurred.

I guess the approach the police have ranges from empathy to murderous sadistic intent.
Where does Chauvin fall in this spectrum? - my gut feeling is high enough for the verdict to be correct.

Please discuss in the new forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back