quilt stand progress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Attached picture of quilt stand project started for our daughter.

quiltstand.jpg

Progress day one , timber cut to timber list.

quilststand1web.jpg

Restarted work on the quiltstand after spending a week re-arranging workshop to accommodate new machinery.

The moulded shapes were cut out on my old bandsaw(rsbs12) as per pics attached.

qstand2webready.jpg

qstand1webready.jpg

Biscuits andmortices were completed today.

biscuitmorticewebready.jpg

Frames put together to test fit.

2frameswebready.jpg

Have not put the new table saw to work yet, wanting to do some test runs and setups etc.

Looking good, DW :) .

It's nice to see you back in the workshop again. Don't do anything too strenuous.

Gill

SlimShavings":280sm1x7 said:
WHOA hold on here!!

A week to rearrage shop and new machinery and NO pictures. Come on now lets see the iron.!! :lol:

Unfortunately the Record bandsaw had to be returned to the manufacturers. But attached three pictures of the layout developing in the workshop showing position of tablesaw. At the present time I will be unable to use the sliding carriage at full stretch (8ft pieces of ply etc) or long boards so I have held on to my Triton workcentre which is portable and if long lengths are required I can cut in the yard depending on weather.
However three tablesaw pictures attached and pleased to state that the Record TSPP250 is behaving perfectly at the moment and making some nice cuts. The pull through blade accessory seems very handy as well, I have also made alterations to the riving knive so that half type cuts can be made.

newsaw1web.jpg

newsaw2web.jpg

A removable shelf to lay work on added to sthe glide pole with swinging legs.

newsaw3plusshelfweb.jpg

Thinking of doing some planning with regard to waste disposal which is very untidy at the moment.

Project and workshop both looking very nice DW and the speed of progress is pretty impressive too :wink:

Created a pattern piece using Adobe Elements yesterday, it worked just like using a CAD program. Told elements to make a rectangle and a circle to specified sizes and then filled with colour, put up the grid option and then placed coloured circles for the holes. Printed out to full size and attached to my timber which I am going to use as side panels, then cut wood with doublesided tape to hold pieces together to obtain identical panels.
Pics attached.

sidepanel1web.jpg

end result:

panelweb2.jpg

good job so far.

Another way to fix paper templates to timber is to use "spray mount". This allows you to remove with ease and replace if required. Just spray onto back of paper and then apply template to your timber.

"3M Spray Mount - Repositionable Adhesive"

Andy

I've used 3M spraymount and a similar UHU product and would comment that the longer you leave the paper stuck to the wood the harder it becomes to reposition it. I have been forced to leave items overnight or even for 1 or 2 days and have spent ages removing tiny bits of paper and glue from the wood.

On one of the scrolling threads I think Lin or Gill mentioned using masking tape on the wood and then sticking the pattern on top. I have not tried this yet but I suspect a low tack masking tape will be easier to remove then spraymount if left for anything longer than a few hours.

Andy

I've never had the problem, you just need a very light coating. If you apply too much then it's like photomount which is permanent, which i found out the hard way.

LyNx

I'm a big fan of 3M spray mount repositionable adhesive too. I've tried using masking tape to protect wood from patterns and found that conventional tapes are simply too sticky - they damage the wood when you try to remove them. I've never had this problem with artists repositionable adhesive. It's true that the longer you leave the pattern in place on the wood, the stronger the bond becomes. However, the worse experience I've ever had is removing traces of paper with white spirits - and that only takes a matter of seconds, leaving no damage or residue. In my experience, you can leave repositionable adhesive attached to a project for several weeks without concern. I'm surprised Andy (dedee) experienced problems removing it after only 24 hours. The manufacturers suggest you should leave the adhesive to 'go off' for a few seconds before applying it. Perhaps you should rest it a little longer, Andy? I normally allow about 30 to 60 seconds.

I've just bought some of the painters blue masking tape from B&Q that Les spotted (I believe it was Les) so I'll try that shortly. A lot of scrollers claim that the lubrication applied to the outside of masking tape lubricates their blades and therefore improves longevity. I'm not too sure about these claims but anything that protects the wood as it's cut has got to be worth considering.

By the way - the stand's coming on a treat, DW :) . I like the way you've used Adobe Elements so effectively. I design patterns like that too, but I use JASC Photoshop Pro (PSP) for my work. If anyone wants to learn more about how to use PSP, there's a nifty free tutorial here that I can personally recommend as being very instructive and great fun.

I presume you cut the curved area on your bandsaw? It's just like scrolling, but with a bigger blade!

Gill

The last time this happened ! was cutting some Xmas candle holders last year I had stuck all three patterns onto suitable pieces of beech and walnut but only managed to cut one a night for 3 nights (or maybe longer). By the time I tried to remove the last one the pattern came off in very small pieces and a lot of picking and soaking with white spirits ensued.

Gill
I am keen to know more about this painters blue tape - I had assumed that this was just a low tack masking tape but you suggest it is different?

Andy

andy / gill,

The blue "painters" masking tape is low tack, I'm not sure f it had any other properties other than the stylish colour! It certainly worked well for me when scrolling the spitfire, no tear out at all on removing it.

Les

Pleased to say the quiltstand has now been finished successfully. both ends when laid together match OK. Rails have been rounded over and all joints fit snuggly.
Final picture attached but without fitting of rails to enable transprtation to Kent (from devon) and will give the son in law the pleasure of final assembly and painting.

qtandfiniweb.jpg

Started making the Steve Maskery clamps as per his magazine article using up some rough sycamore timber that came my way.

Latest posts

Back