quiet washing machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbloke":2p4wvq9s said:
Can't agree about the drier bit. The very best drier is a washing line, a sunny day and a bit of wind...can't be beaten :lol: Trouble is it doesn't happen very often - Rob

Fair point but I had forgotten what that was like, don't think we ever got the whirligig out at all last year :(

dedee":2xnu1e7a said:
Ike,
thanks I had not heard of ISE before. The concept seems very interesting and noble, I've written to them to see if they are available over here.

Cheers

Andy

The eco-credentials of a company selling tumble dryers are questionable!

BugBear

bugbear":op9ebxht said:
dedee":op9ebxht said:
Ike,
thanks I had not heard of ISE before. The concept seems very interesting and noble, I've written to them to see if they are available over here.

Cheers

Andy

The eco-credentials of a company selling tumble dryers are questionable!

BugBear

Not sure they are questionable, pragmatic or realistic certainly. The actions of a company are highly unlikely to change the habits of the average family in using a dryer. Therefore their eco efforts are aimed at addressing the problem of disposable appliances. This seems a great objective, buy quality and buy once, zero profit on spares to ensure cost effective repairs.

It is not a hair shirt eco warrior approach but one that is far more likely to succeed.

ASKO do not have an agent or distributor listed in France, closest is Belgium.

I certainly do not, and would not, want a tumble drier, but I do understand that we have the space to dry laundry indoors in the winter when the wood burner dries the air so the extra humidity of the washing helps.

In order to get a quite machine here I think I must choose between belt drive with brushless motor or the direct drive machines, unless I source an ISE10 from Portsmouth and nip over on a day trip.

Thanks for all the responses.

Andy

Andy,

Good luck with that and if you decide on ISE, please spread the word. Anything that is a poke in the crutch of the likes of DSG et al, is a good thing. They seem to employ mainly spotty know-nothing oiks who don't give a tinkers cuss what you buy except preferably with an extended warranty to boost their commission!

cheers,

Ike

Andy - I presume you want a quiet one so that you can run it overnight and benefit from heures creuzes?
Ours is the cheapest toploader from Conforama (or But, I forget) - it has to be small to fit. It's not too bad, and with the door to the utility closed you can't really hear it. Much. Honest...

A few observations Andy. Top loader washing machines with vertical axis drums are pension providers for the electrical and water supply companies, they also take much longer to complete a wash.
running a machine unattended at night to gain the advantage of cheap rate electricity, if that is your aim, is a very false economy.
A 16lb machine on a moderate heat cycle will cost less than 20p/load at normal rates.
Approximately 2000 UK homes are damaged/destroyed by the practice per annum from fire. Plus the cost of running a machine that may break down without anyone hearing it go wrong can be pricey, and the smell of soapy water on the carpets from flooding has to be experienced to be believed!

Roy.

Roy
This is in France. Most of the washing machines are toploaders. More frontloaders nowadays, but when we bought ours there was 1 frontloader and about 15 toploader models in the shop.
Water is cheaper, and they claim to use less water anyway.
Off-peak electricity is much cheaper than daytime. Except for red days.
Most floors are tiled...
It's absolutely normal (recommended even) practice.

The only time ours leaked was when mice chewed through the outflow pipe.

We currently have a top loade (Candy, from Darty) that is run on the night time tariff and it is loud. OK if we start it at 10pm but that means wet washing in the machine for about 6 hours once it's finished. We've tried to use it on the delay timer to start at 4.00am but that just wakes everyone up.

If we ran the machine during the day chances are we would be out, if it catches fire at night at least the smoke alarms will alert us & give us enough time to save the essentials. It is also on a tiled floor, if it flooded it would go downstairs (into the garage) and cause minimal damage.

I cannot recall the difference in lecky costs overnight but it is considerable

We also want a front loader to go into a new fitted kitchen.

If I want an ISE machine it looks like I will have to go to UK and bring one back, I've just written to them to see if they have a reseller close to Portsmouth.

I am quite serious about this. Even at my tender age I have brought 4 washing machines, the last one, Bosch, was great but we had to leave it behind when we moved. But the other 3 all suffered from motor or bearing problems what were uneconomic to repair. Spending £800 that should or could last 20 years and be repaired easily does not seem too expensive

cheers

Andy

This is the official line for the UK Andy...

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/usage_2.html

...I once came across a cellar that had hundreds of gallons of water sloshing around in it, and even a tiled floor, if not sealed at the edges, will allow the spread of water and damage to walls and skirtings, and I imagine that the fire risk is no less or more in France than in the UK.
I gave this info to all my customers and most simply ignored it, which is their choice of course, and night time running and utility rooms kept me in business for years!

Roy.

Roy, thanks for taking the time to post a link that reiterates a basic safety message.

I do wonder how many households leave their appliances on when the house is empty or even turn off the water feed when the machines are not in use. That does not make it best practise of course.

I wonder how many members here turn off the taps and never leave washing machines, dryers and dishwashers running when they are out?

Cheers

Andy

The answer to your question Andy will be, very few.
Consider this, where do plumbers normally site washing machine/dish washer taps? Why, behind the appliance!
Very often the same thing with the plug/socket/on-off switch!

Roy.

I think that if stop-puffins were easier to find and use more people would turn off water when going away from the house for a few days. In France all I have to do is open a cupboard and close a handle on an in-line valve, in England I have to locate a well hidden tap and spend five minutes struggling to turn it only to watch it weep. For hot and for cold. So in France I do, and in England I don't.

Mind you, my neighbour advised me to do it because any leaks between the stop cock on my property line and the house are my responsibility, and a water leak for several weeks would cost un bras et une jambe.

Smudger":2ott14u3 said:
I think that if stop-puffins were easier to find and use more people would turn off water when going away from the house for a few days. In France all I have to do is open a cupboard and close a handle on an in-line valve, in England I have to locate a well hidden tap and spend five minutes struggling to turn it only to watch it weep. For hot and for cold. So in France I do, and in England I don't.

Mind you, my neighbour advised me to do it because any leaks between the stop cock on my property line and the house are my responsibility, and a water leak for several weeks would cost un bras et une jambe.

http://www.surestop.co.uk/powered-by-water.asp

The washerhelp website mentions maintenance washes once a month for the washer and refers to soda crystals - now maybe I'm being thick or sumat - soda crystals? What and where from?

i just do a maintenance wash one a month ish on the highest temp setting with the normal amount of non bio power (full of bleach so kills off anything - non bio contains bleach, bio containes enzymes)

I haven't found Soda Crystals to be very effective. An empty 'boil' wash with a normal amount of detergent however, seems to work well.

Latest posts

Back