quiet washing machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
We need to replace an old top loading WM which is very loud with something much quieter.
AEG advertise their latest machines as having Silent System Plus and brushless motors yet they cannot provide any db ratings, neither on the website nor from the customer care dept.

Strange this as Bosh have db ratings for wash and spin levels on all their machines.

Leaves me to conclude that the AEG machines cannot be as quite as they would have us believe

Andy

LG do a direct drive.
But if you search the site you will find this subject has been discussed and that could help you.

Dick,
I hadn't considered LG. I've had a poke arund their website and a spin noise leve of 69db is the best I've seen (Bosch's queitest machine is 72db). LG have some good prudct reviews too.

Pete,
Meile I know are good and pricey!

I will probably stick with Bosch with had one in the UK that was faultless after 5 years of near daily use.

In my original post was more an expression of surprise that a manufacturer would promote a feature without any data to back it up than a request for alternatives.

cheers

Andy

I'll second the LG direct drive recommendation - we've had ours for 7 years and it is still the quietest machine we've ever owned! Never even had to put a spanner on it.

HTH,
C

Another vote here for LG. Just bought one of their DD machines a few months ago. Too early to comment on longevity (but the drive system carries a 10 year warranty so shouldn't be a problem), but it certainly is quiet.

Not wishing to take anything away from the endorsements of LG products, as people obviously have different experiences with brands, but...

We had an LG Direct Drive, which was great when it worked. Big - stuck out way more than our worktop and prevented another cupboard door from opening. It didn't last so long - something burnt out on the circuitboard, but the machine was still under a year old and covered by warranty. LG could not give a hoot. Their lack of customer service seems fairly legendary (check the web for LG reviews/customer opinions), but even I was shocked when they claimed the fault was not their responsibility and that I should take it up with the seller I bought it from. ](*,) Even the seller (a trusted internet shop) commented that LG's customer service was 'different' from other manufacturers.

The seller ended up having to refund us, as I was disgusted by LG's attitude and refused a replacement. We replaced it with an Indesit Moon, which is pretty rubbish and we've just replaced that with a Hotpoint WMD940 from Next of all places (cheaper than the other stores). It is amazingly quiet - even more so than the LG! You can literally be standing next to it and not know that it is running, whether on full spin or wash. It washes pretty well too and SWMBO 'loves' it.

Steve

We've had our LG for over 7 years now and it gets well used, about 10 loads a week. Every now and then a trickle of water comes from the push-in tray which I could never see the reason behind but if thats all thats wrong I'm happy enough with it. I would say that over the years it has got gradually noisier but I suppose thats the norm, still quiet and still easy to stand beside it and have a conversation.

Michael

I love our Bosch, a great machine and utterly reliable. 5 years in now and my parents have a similar model which they've owned for 2-3 years more

if you do want to get an AEG - save a bit of cash and get a john lewis branded model - all the same!

+ they include a free 3 year warranty

cambournepete":27y0r3py said:
Miele.
Ours is very quiet, until it gets to spin mode and even then it's quieter than previous cheaper ones we've had.
They do a 10 year warranty on many of them as well.

I'll second that - ours has a 10yr warranty with Miele and the only give away that the machine is on - is the sound of buttons on clothes occasionally hitting the glass - other than that totally silent.

It only gets a little louder when going into spin - but if stood next to it, one can carry on with a conversation at the same level.

For Washing Machines, Driers and Dishwashers

1st - Miele
Last - Everything else

Best investment you will ever make.

Hope I'm not explaining egg sucking here, but dB are logrithmic

Rule of the thumb: 3 dB less, equates to half the noise

So the LG is half as noisy as the Bosch ( or the Bosch is twice as loud as the LG)

It doesn't work like that in practice - 3dB is a doubling of the physical intensity but will not be perceived as twice as loud by the ear/brain. Needs more like 10dB to be perceived as twice as loud. A 3dB increase is not very noticeable at all.

dedee":2fgsb497 said:
In my original post was more an expression of surprise that a manufacturer would promote a feature without any data to back it up

But makeup/cosmetic manufacturers have made that into an art form!

It's amazing how many "claim-like" things they say that disappear on closer inspection, or claims that are qualitative, not quantative.

BugBear

I have an LG DD machine - 5 years old. It hardly ever balances properly on spin (1400). It is very quiet. It has developed a hot electrical smell. I took it apart and it is a transformer on the PCB that gets hot. It's OK on less than a full load but that rather defeats the object of a 7kg machine. The PCB is embedded in goop and the component looks awkward to replace. A replacement PCB is at least £200 or more with callout and labour. These particular faults on LG DD machines are widespread and well known in the trade. My advise is don't buy an LG. Get anISE10/with a 10-year warranty!. Bombproof. :wink: As the saying goes - "the quality is still there long after the price is forgotten" and that's the truth.

Tip: They are made by ASKO of Sweden. Anyone in the trade will tell you ASKO make some of the best washing machines money can buy. :wink:

Ike,
thanks I had not heard of ISE before. The concept seems very interesting and noble, I've written to them to see if they are available over here.

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

ASKO don't sell in the UK. They stopped about 10 years ago. ISE (Independent Service Engineers) with their inside knowledge saw the business opportunity to re-introduce a high quality product so specified their own version of ASKO's machine for their top-of-the-range model. I'd be surprised if they sell outside the UK. ISE and ASKO have agreed separate markets I think so you can get an ASKO in France. Subsequently they expanded their range to 3 machines each at a different price point but all specified and built by the manufacturer to their requirements. Not sure who builds the cheaper machines though. It's a unique business model and still a bit of an inside story, mainly because they would not deal through the big retailers/box shifters.

Actually, I am very impressed with the ideals and the apparent quality. If the Miele ever let me down I would look long and hard at these machines. I may need a dishwasher sooner as the current one (came withe the house) is a bit pants.

cutting42":1a6f4fhq said:
For Washing Machines, Driers and Dishwashers

1st - Miele
Last - Everything else

Best investment you will ever make.
Can't agree about the drier bit. The very best drier is a washing line, a sunny day and a bit of wind...can't be beaten :lol: Trouble is it doesn't happen very often - Rob

Latest posts

Back