Quiet random orbital sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29368

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to buy a compact and quiet (relatively speaking) random orbital sander ~ 125mm / 150mm diameter.
Mains powered preferred and with variable speed.

Can anyone recommend one that’s quiet enough that ear protection isn’t required please? Ideally so you could talk over it when it's running.
It will be used for light DIY use only on small projects (primarily guitar bodies). £100 or less would be good.
Thank you

Last edited:
Why not use a card scraper....
Seems a waste of money to get something which won't do internal contours, unless you've got a rolling pin sander already?

I have scrapers and drum sander attachments, I just fancy a random orbital sander to help with body sanding. I have dodgy left elbow so anything to reduce aggravation is welcome, plus it will get used for other jobs.

I'd like to buy a compact and quiet (relatively speaking) random orbital sander ~ 125mm / 150mm diameter.
Mains powered preferred and with variable speed.

Can anyone recommend one that’s quiet enough that ear protection isn’t required please? Ideally so you could talk over it when it's running.
It will be used for light DIY use only on small projects (primarily guitar bodies). £100 or less would be good.
Thank you
Well First reply to your question I don't think your going to find any thing under a 100 pounds thats going to be quiet unless you go for an air powered sander ( ) but then your going to have to put a compressor somewhere out side. Any particular reason you need to talk over the running machine (making a youtube video?) I am /was (retired)still working guitar maker an I bought the mirka deros set with both 125 and 150. It's the best sander i've used and i've had quite a few over the last 50 years. It's very light weight so when sanding the sides on acoustic guitars it doesn't get tiring. The dust extraxtion works great so very little dust to contend with. I prefer the hermes vc151 discs as the backing is a little firmer than the mirka abra net. If cost is a problem go for the 125 mm disc which is perfect for guitar making uses the extra 150mm is useful for bigger surfaces and nice to have (i've sanded floors with 40 grit no bother) The sander you could probably stand on it and it and it would still run. The paddle speed adjuster is not really much use as it tends to be a bit oversensitive maybe a bit of foam stuffed under it would fix that but you have the switches to adjust the speed so no problem. A light weight extraction hose is useful as the machine is very light in the hand and the heavy new festool hoses tend to drag a bit. I would also recommend Triton TSPST450 450W Oscillating Spindle and Belt Sander 230V or one of it's copies and if your making acoustics get yourself a drum sander. The mirka is a great sander, it's not cheap and I have abused it and it still works fine. If mine stopped working I would buy another without hesitation.

I picked up a Metabo SXE450 for about £100.
Works well and has good dust collection with an extractor and mesh (Abranet) sanding discs.
The Bosch sanding discs I tried initially were a bit disappointing.

Depends what you’re used to, I have a Bosch PSM200 AES multi sander (orbital) recently bought a Makita 150mm BO6030 random orbit sander and find it noticeably quieter.

Back