Quiet compressors and pin nailer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazed

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I may have gone and done it again! A long phone chat with an old friend over the weekend has elicited a request to make and fit some oak panelling and skirting in his new/old house. A nail gun would be convenient. I haven't actually committed yet and my manager may say no, you've got things to do here!

The conversation came shortly after I'd fired up my old workshop compressor at home for a quick repair job on the garden shed with a framing nailer. In the old workshop it was housed in a tiny purpose built annexe so the noise didn't bother me. But at home, crikey it could wake the dead! I absolutely don't want it in the workshop at home and neither would my neighbours. So I've been thinking about a small, quiet compressor just for 18/23g finish nails, and small enough to be reasonably portable. I've been told to look at Bambi compressors - anyone use one or have a preferred quiet alternative?

Secondly my smallest nailer is 18g which leaves quite a bit of head visible, a 23 gauge pinner would be better. Any recommendations? In the USA I've used Grex but they don't seem to be common here.
Steve

I use compressors a lot, various types, for tools and for breathing; in wouldn’t describe any as quiet, only quieter!

My little 110v compressor that I use with my nailer is polite enough, but I’m still glad when the noise is over!

I use compressors a lot, various types, for tools and for breathing; in wouldn’t describe any as quiet, only quieter!

My little 110v compressor that I use with my nailer is polite enough, but I’m still glad when the noise is over!
I was told you can have a normal conversation over the noise of a Bambi compressor. I wonder if that's the usual sales speak? At least with finish nailers it shouldn't be running much.
I don't want to get an electric or cordless pinner, I just don't like them. Give me air anytime.
Steve

I keep looking at the Hyundai Silent range of compressors and am tempted to get the 24l one.

I seem to recall a couple on here who may have bought them - any feedback from usage of them?

They seem good value and you can get them via ebay at the moment and use code PARCEL10 for 10% off from HyundaiDirect.

I keep looking at the Hyundai Silent range of compressors and am tempted to get the 24l one.
Certainly the price is a lot better than the Bambi models. The quoted noise of 60dB is given without units or distance. Usually it's specified as sound pressure level at a distance such as 7m with a certain weighting curve applied. The small motor (1HP) will make it a bit underpowered if wanting to use with air tools. Nailers though no problem.

The small Bambi unit is quoted as 40dBA which really is quiet.
Steve

Whichever you fancy, just ask to switch it on in the shop as pointed out, the sound level numbers are all rubbish. For it to be meaningful it needs to be in the form
60dB(A) @ 1.0m and 0.75m3/minute, without all that info, it’s basically like saying your car is 19 fast

Aidan

I was looking into the same recently - wondering if a 23ga pinner would be any good for fixing oak architraves. The pins are supposed to be small enough not to need filling.
I was looking at Senco and noticed that they have a new (at least to me) range of low noise portable compressors with a white colour scheme. Their other machines are finished in hammer grey paint. There's a big difference in the noise numbers so maybe worth a look.

I recently bought a Hyundai 50L 'super silent compressor' and I cannot believe how quiet it is, my workshop is within the house and I can have the compressor on late into the evening and it disturbs no one else within the house even. Hyundai do smaller models with the same range too. I also bought a couple of Bostitch guns, one of which was the 23gauge headless pinner which is a lovely bit of kit. Here are links to them

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/air-compressors/silent-oil-free-compressors/
https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/sn/BOSTU2162330K/tool/Bostitch#.YH39_i1Q23U

Hi,
I have this model, it sits under my open bench, and it is very quiet, don't need ear defenders on when it's running. Holds pressure well too. Had it about 18 months, got it when on offer at @ £130.
It replaced an Aldi one which had died after 3 years, and basically was carp in comparison.
I use it with a nailer and for airbrush and cleaning out dust etc. Quiet enough to be able to hold a normal conversation when running.

20210223_173419.jpg

I’ve had the Hyundai 8 litre for a couple of months and it’s really very quiet, especially in comparison to the small Stanley one I had previously. Silent? Umm, no, but very comfortable to be in the same room when it’s working. It has a stupidly (criminally?) short mains cable, but that aside it’s done exactly what I need. I paid just over £100, though I see the price has crept up to ~£120 or so recently. HTH P

I've got a model the same as Sachakins and have previously had a bambi.

The bambi uses a fridge compressor and (apart from the noise of the contractors opening) is as quiet as a fridge- you won't notice it's on.
The hyundai or any other silent type using what appears to be off the shelf compressor motors are very quiet and give a background hum, comparable to a microwave running. Not in the same league as bambi, but it depends how far you want to go!

I've moved to cordless and am not looking back. Sold the bambi and kept the unbranded silent one for blowing up tyres etc, it has more power than the bambi did.

One of the issues I've had with small compressors is the lower pressure restart point. If a nail gun needs 100psi to fully set a nail, and the restart pressure is 80psi, then the nails gradually become raised as you work. On some I've used they had a 8bar cut-off and 4bar cut-in pressure. That's a big range.

Admittedly a pin nailer is less likely to be affected due to needing a lower pressure. The Grex one I used wanted about 70-75psi for the longer nails.

I think some of them better ones have an adjustable lower threshold. Like Swann I think.
Steve

I have this old Bambi it’s so quiet it’s used for nailing spraying and sanding and still doesn’t lose any pressure when accidentally left overnight

Attachments

• A6BE05E5-853A-4707-9895-8316068B10BA.jpeg
    A6BE05E5-853A-4707-9895-8316068B10BA.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 17
I've got a model the same as Sachakins and have previously had a bambi.

The bambi uses a fridge compressor and (apart from the noise of the contractors opening) is as quiet as a fridge- you won't notice it's on.
The hyundai or any other silent type using what appears to be off the shelf compressor motors are very quiet and give a background hum, comparable to a microwave running. Not in the same league as bambi, but it depends how far you want to go!
That's useful infomation, thanks.
I've moved to cordless and am not looking back. Sold the bambi and kept the unbranded silent one for blowing up tyres etc, it has more power than the bambi did.
I tried cordless for a while but didn't get on with it. I didn't like the weight and never found them to be as reliable as pneumatic. Maybe things have changed? But for me I prefer pneumatic.
Steve

Do the Hyundai models have just the regulated output and does the gauge just show output pressure? It's quite handy to have an unregulated output to quickly plug in a blow gun without changing the regulated pressure.
Steve

I think I may have gone and done it again! A long phone chat with an old friend over the weekend has elicited a request to make and fit some oak panelling and skirting in his new/old house. A nail gun would be convenient. I haven't actually committed yet and my manager may say no, you've got things to do here!

The conversation came shortly after I'd fired up my old workshop compressor at home for a quick repair job on the garden shed with a framing nailer. In the old workshop it was housed in a tiny purpose built annexe so the noise didn't bother me. But at home, crikey it could wake the dead! I absolutely don't want it in the workshop at home and neither would my neighbours. So I've been thinking about a small, quiet compressor just for 18/23g finish nails, and small enough to be reasonably portable. I've been told to look at Bambi compressors - anyone use one or have a preferred quiet alternative?

Secondly my smallest nailer is 18g which leaves quite a bit of head visible, a 23 gauge pinner would be better. Any recommendations? In the USA I've used Grex but they don't seem to be common here.
Steve
We bought a Grex a 23 gauge pinner from the USA 2-3yrs ago and it's spot on. We bought a compressor from Rutlands it was very quite with a 12 month guarantee but at 13 months it packed in by this time Rutlands had stopped taking telephone calls everything by emails got a stupid answer to an email. Result we don't deal with them anymore. Decided to get a branded one so bought a DeWalt it's very good but i would call it noisy if it ever needs replacing i would want a quieter one especially if working in a customers house

Well that was quick! Compressor has now gone, chap picked it up this afternoon, so now I'm compressor-less.

I saw the Gosforth Handymans video of his Swan from Axi. I shan't be going there. Shame as the form factor would be handy here.

Hyundai seems the same as Orazio and probably others - opinions seem mixed. Given the price of the little Hyundai 8l I might just consider that for now. It would probably do for small nailers and could be replaced in a year or so if no good. Wonder if PeterMillard might give an opinion based on his usage?

Oops - Just realised that I probably couldn't use my framing nailer, really need over 7 bar for that on 90mm nails. Maybe I don't need one any more.
Steve

Latest posts

Back