Quicky rough bowl Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Rather that make a saga of this thread by bogmonster I've been in the shed since lunch and done a run through with this scrap blank just to give an idea of how I tackle a rough turned bowl.
The blank with numerous hidden internal log splits drilled out.
DSCN4279.JPG
DSCN4280.JPG

Mount on spigot and spin up to check run out, if it was too wild I would reverse mount and clean up spigot.
DSCN4281.JPG

This is the point when I change gouges to one with a 55-60 deg bevel.
DSCN4282.JPG

Holes filled (with coffee, everyone needs a coffee break) and finished to thickness inside and out.
DSCN4284.JPG

Turn it round and support with tailstock whilst base is churned into something resembling a foot.
DSCN4285.JPG

And keep supported as far as possible.
DSCN4286.JPG
DSCN4287.JPG

Check chuck holding and remove tailstock for final clean up of foot.
DSCN4288.JPG

(1hr.07mins, image file times)

Attachments

• DSCN4279.JPG
    DSCN4279.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSCN4280.JPG
    DSCN4280.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSCN4281.JPG
    DSCN4281.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSCN4282.JPG
    DSCN4282.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSCN4284.JPG
    DSCN4284.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSCN4285.JPG
    DSCN4285.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSCN4286.JPG
    DSCN4286.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSCN4287.JPG
    DSCN4287.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSCN4288.JPG
    DSCN4288.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 1,318
Will be passing it over to someone with a bit more artistic ability than me tomorrow to see if they can embellish it in some way. ( in other words, hide the defects.)
DSCN4289.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4289.JPG
    DSCN4289.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,310
Hello CHJ,,,,,
I like the look of that !!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,Coffee filled ?,,,is it 2 part epoxy with coffee grounds?,,,,my missus drinks herbal teas and I get the bags and use the contents for my epoxy filler,,,(our kids sometimes ask if I am smoking it !!!!),,,,,,,must upload a piccie (not the smoking but the epoxy filler !)
What wood were you turning?,,,,,,,,,,,,
,joe,,,

CHJ":2ezyzh80 said:
The coffee is set with thin CA Glue, the wood is Ash.
Hello again,,,
By "thin" CA do you mean "quick" or "slow" or something else ?,,,
Nice piece of ash,,,,sure it"s not elm ????
,,joe,

I mean Thin in terms of Viscosity, the standard way to refer to CA as Thin, Medium, Thick.

Cure times, characteristics and application specifics are down to supplier and branding.

CHJ":btocx994 said:
I mean Thin in terms of Viscosity, the standard way to refer to CA as Thin, Medium, Thick.

Cure times, characteristics and application specifics are down to supplier and branding.
Hello again CHJ,,,,
I"ve got only a few years left,,please help me with the "viscosity etc,,,,,,,",,,",Manufacturers specs",,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,joe,,,,

Hello CHJ,
Nice piece of ash there sir. I never heard of coffee and CA glue before lol.

Regards.

Rend.

renderer01":3fq9958y said:
Hello CHJ,

Regards.

Rend.

Coffee grounds are especially useful on darker timbers like walnut, on lighter timbers like ash you can also just pack the cracks/blemishes with fine sawdust from the piece and trickle on the superglue and sand, get a better colour match then unless looking for a contrast of course for artistic reasons !

Cheers, Paul

paulm":20ahasgn said:
renderer01":20ahasgn said:
Hello CHJ,

Regards.

Rend.

Coffee grounds are especially useful on darker timbers like walnut, on lighter timbers like ash you can also just pack the cracks/blemishes with fine sawdust from the piece and trickle on the superglue and sand, get a better colour match then unless looking for a contrast of course for artistic reasons !

Cheers, Paul

or do the same thing with brass, copper or aluminum powder for artistic effect. Give the surrounding wood a quick coat of sealer first on light woods as the glue will darken and stain the wood. Also save any sanding dust from woods with colour like purple heart, chaperno, etc.

Pete

Coffee, now that has got me thinking it's time for breakfast :) I might dig out a camera and take a few snaps of my approach as well. I must say you are very dedicated at providing photos and drawings to help with your posts, it's much appreciated.

I always find I don't have much spare time but must try harder.

BM

Yes Kym, just dried after use, although instant works just as well and the powdered variety may be better for some projects as it's much finer.
As Pete and co say, I have dozens of little containers with sanding dust of various shades, rarely find a match that looks right on the paler woods though and more often go for a contrast.

CHJ":17amfjdf said:
As Pete and co say, I have dozens of little containers with sanding dust of various shades, rarely find a match that looks right on the paler woods though and more often go for a contrast.

Yes - I do that as well. I use old 35mm film containers for sanding dust from various woods. Now I need one for coffee grounds as well :) I have some drying in the kitchen after I rescued them from my partner's coffee filter this morning!

I use little plastic test tubes with bungs! Easier to hold against the piece to see a match.

Wip's are great. .. I find things easier to understand visually than reading.

OK, did a bit of turning today. A couple (battery died in camera) of links to how I tend work:

DSCN0614_zpsa3300cf2.jpg

DSCN0615_zpsd540d14f.jpg

As you can see in the first photo, plenty of access to bottom of bowl. In the second photo you can see the use of a short chuck key to tighten the jaws on an internal spigot. In this case Axi C jaws which are not really the best for this method. O'donnel jaws are good for the extra reach.

BM

Hi BM,,,,nice to see how you work,,,and nice to see your work,,,that is a tasty piece of wood,,,,please post a picture when it is finished, would like to see it,,
,,regards,,,,joe,,,,,

Back