"Quick" solid bench for a friend

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theartfulbodger

Established Member
Reaction score
My first commission! :lol:

A friend has asked my to build him a bench, there's lots of plans on the net but I have arrived at this one

http://dreambuildfly.com/2010/08/building-workbenches/

According to the video they weigh over 100 lbs and look solid enough for an American person to sit and lie on :mrgreen:

Cheap, quick, solid are the only real prerequisites.

Any others to consider?

Thanks in advance :ho2

Framing as per (personally I used 4" x 4" fence posts, dressed, M&T, and only 2 top stretchers) then a solid core door for the top if you have one, had mine now for more than 15 years...bosshogg

Thanks, Bosshog! That was a quick answer :)

I'm more in favour of MandT joints than screws it has to be said..but screws would be a lot faster.

Is a stretcher the short "front to back" part of the frame that's under the top?

I use a cut down old pine farmhouse kitchen table with 4" x 4" legs and cross bracing fitted with an extra 25mm birch ply top that gets changed every couple years. Solid as a rock and been in use for 30 years - but if I'd known then what old pine farmhouse kitchen tables can be worth now I'd probably not have abused it :shock: :)

theartfulbodger":3fdc2j9c said:
Thanks, Bosshog! That was a quick answer :)

I'm more in favour of MandT joints than screws it has to be said..but screws would be a lot faster.

Is a stretcher the short "front to back" part of the frame that's under the top?

Yea, one further thing, I fixed these in open mortises with 3mm clearance above the end grain of the legs this allows for any movement, warping/twisting etc. Iv'e had no problems so far and that in a seasonally affected wooden shed.
Hope this helps...bosshogg :)

Thanks again, fellas!

Who was it that said this was an unfriendly forum? (hammer)

Here's a small pic for anyone not wanting to click on the link
workbench_plans1.jpg

A fine bench - easy, quick and cheap. I have made silly deluxe benches but I honestly respect the simple 'workers'. Just please make the front frame flush to the top edge, then bore 3/4 holes in the legs for holdfasts, dogs etc (not Jack Russells as they don't fit 3/4 holes... see my avatar).
I am convinced that a very effective bench can be done well under a 'ton' [£100], and cheap softwood is great but go for quite big sections. I also hear old fire-doors are handy for tops.

If you favour M&T joints then.......

The legs are laminated with two pieces of timber, if you use three pieces and leave a gap in the centre piece you have a ready made mortice, do the same for the stretcher but just have the centre piece longer then the outside and a ready made tenon.

I think it was Fine Woodworking that made a similar one from 18mm ply.

Mick

That's it - with stretcher and legs flush to the front edge of top, the whole front 'plane' is a clamping surface - vital for working edges of big boards, doors etc. This is a Chris Schwarz 'mantra' and I would say he knows a lot about what makes a good bench.

That sounds like a plan! I see what you mean now..flush as in to hold vertical boards against the front of the bench, not flush as in flush if a board was laid on top.

if you see what I mean #-o

The plans suggest a laminated MDF and ply top and I figured that if the front "rail" covered the front edge of the surface then it would save a splintery chippy edge.

i think I'll plan for both :)

I tried laminating two 18mm ply boards to make a thicker top, it was hell. Could not get enough clamping force across the boards to make them really tight and it's not really a one person job.

Keep an eye on eBay for some old wooden worktop.

Mick

If you keep looking occasionally a beech one comes up or try your local kitchen place they may have some longish bits lying around.

The new beech ones from Ikea are not that expensive.

Mick

Yes Artful - I didn't make it very clear, but if you imagine the front edge of the top as a datum, then both top (obviously) and front frame are built off that. To not have a flush front just throws away a load of clamping / holding capability. And I do think a bench has 2 roles - a flat work surface, and the ability to clamp any workpiece you can reasonably imagine. And I do credit C Schwarz for that insight... there is a lot to be said for that old basic Roubo slab of a bench I reckon.
Couple of thoughts - I've seen great bench-tops made from laminates of mdf, maybe shove one layer of ply in the middle. And do have a look at the old-fashioned holdfast - the fastest most versatile clamping device to keep near a bench I think. Richard T here makes them the trad way (hand-forged)... and no, I am not on commission :lol:
If you use holdfasts you'll need a top min (I think) 50mm but Richard is the expert on that topic.

Hope its all right to post this, but I have just made a bench incorporating many of the features you have been discussing for the first of our Build it with Bosch series of videos. A quick and simple bench that doesn't require a lot of tools or skill. The plans and material list are available on the Bosch professional Facebook page. Hope you enjoy it, would appreciate any constructive feedback, thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeWeeY4R ... ature=plcp

Alan

Benchwayze":2q2xqypd said:
theartfulbodger":2q2xqypd said:
Thanks again, fellas!

Who was it that said this was an unfriendly forum? (hammer)

Someone who was unsociable I would say. :wink:

John :D

also, tinytims wife hinted at it... :D

Back