Quick release nuts for grinders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I use these Bosch quick release nuts which work fine for me..

Attachments

• 40A610C5-1843-4504-BA82-9CD0DE33E861.jpeg
    40A610C5-1843-4504-BA82-9CD0DE33E861.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 0
I found that after a short while the 'quick release' broke and then they became a p in the a. If you can't undo the grinder by grabbing the disc a standard tool on a standard plain nut is just as quick, but thats just my experience after forty odd years of fabricating.

No. (and all my grinders have the centering on the spindle not the nut).

Have to say the X-Lock Bosch I got recently is just so much better, although the disks are pricey - hope it takes off as a standard.

Sadly I’m unable to get to mine for a picture as in the process of moving house and most of my tools are boxed up and buried. 🙁

I use these Bosch quick release nuts which work fine for me..
These are great for big grinders but I don’t believe you can get them for small grinders. I use the Milwaukee one on my little grinder. Sometimes you need to have the nuts machined as when using thin slitting discs as the standard ones don’t hold the disc. Depends on the make of grinder.

The official way to use the QR on my new Metabo is to press the spindle lock after the tool has been switched off and has mostly spun down.
The disc stops dead and the remaining inertia of the nut just spins it off.
It absolutely works but feels so wrong to treat any tool like this !

There is no way I would want anything other than a proper securing nut to hold a disk on a grinder, I want a secure positive locking device that can only be undone with a spanner. These things can make a real mess of a person and how much quicker is a so called quick release nut to just using a spanner. The disk must have location, on my Bosch it is the nut that locates the wheel central and without this it could run off centre and at the speed they run the disc could then shatter.

The HSE has guides and such with regards to the use of abrasive wheels that covers wheel mounting procedures and issues.

A fabricater I know only ever snugs up the nut by running it on finger tight and then grasping the disc to tighten it, for many years now Ive done the same thing and its been fine, however a mate who is in the welding supplies business said that one of the Disc reps told them it was very bad practice and can result in the disc shattering?
Its a lot less faffing about though!
Steve.

These are great for big grinders but I don’t believe you can get them for small grinders. I use the Milwaukee one on my little grinder. Sometimes you need to have the nuts machined as when using thin slitting discs as the standard ones don’t hold the disc. Depends on the make of grinder.
I’ve got a really poor Makita cordless 4” grinder (it’s so poor because it’s not brushless) that I should just throw away, a much better Dewalt corded 4” grinder and a reasonable red Makita corded cheapie 4” grinder (this lives in one of those chop stand thingies) all using those Bosch nuts so not sure what you mean about not using them on small grinders…

I’ve got a really poor Makita cordless 4” grinder (it’s so poor because it’s not brushless) that I should just throw away, a much better Dewalt corded 4” grinder and a reasonable red Makita corded cheapie 4” grinder (this lives in one of those chop stand thingies) all using those Bosch nuts so not sure what you mean about not using them on small grinders…
Hi,
I’ve never seen the spring loaded quick release nuts for small grinders so I don’t know if they are available. Spectrum mentions using a spanner all the time. I can assure you that if you are using 9” cutting discs or slitting discs as we do for cutting pipe or steel that they tighten so much that spanner’s won’t release them as they self tighten. If you are using small flat disc for cutting then it’s much easier to release them if you fit the disc with the coloured side (the metals collar side) facing the threaded collar as the metal to metal gives less friction when undoing. Discs don’t come off if fitted correctly they actually self tighten, I’ve been using them for 50 years but like all things use them with respect especially the 9” ones.
Regards,
Dave

Back