Quick release front vise issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have bought a quick release face vice 2 months ago and already there are issues.

Here is the vice
1645562738038.png

1. Two front nuts must be loose in order for the vice to slide easily on the round bars. If I tighten them, it takes a lot of force to move the front jaw in and out.
2. Today a new issue happened. When I tighten the jaws with the handle, the split nut snaps and the nut lock opens up. I can use only a very light force before the nut snaps and the vice opens. So it became useless.
3. The vice terribly racks. Is there any remedy for this, except for using spacer blocks and positioning the workpiece near the thread?

The vice is still under warranty, but they have 30 days to either accept or reject the claim, so I do not want to be without woodworking for that long. If it is possible, I would like to repair it myself.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Undo the front nuts, work the mechanism to the front, tighten the front nuts.
Repeat with any back nuts, working the mechanism to the back before tightening.
If this fails, return as unfit quality.

Bod

Undo the front nuts, work the mechanism to the front, tighten the front nuts.
Repeat with any back nuts, working the mechanism to the back before tightening.
If this fails, return as unfit quality.

Bod
Thanks Bod,

I will try tomorrow.

If Bod's suggestion does not work send it back and ask for a refund. Then get the vice like that without quick relese. It will work all the time and there is nothing that can go wrong with it. I spent years messing with a dodgy QR vice. Its nice to have something that just works and I really dont miss the QR part.
Regards
John

I have just got a reply from the distributor/manufacturer and he told me that I should return it, because both the guide rails and the nut are faulty. I will get a version without quick release instead.

Still set it up as bod says , you might end up with two vices .
I did it and it did not help. Also, the biggest issue is not the difficulty of pushing the jaw front and back, but the fact that the split nut does not hold and it opens the vice when I add more pressure.

I have just got a reply from the distributor/manufacturer and he told me that I should return it, because both the guide rails and the nut are faulty. I will get a version without quick release instead.
I think thats the right decision tibi. In my case they replaced the vice and within a year the replacement vice was doing the same thing. I made the best of it for a few more years but it was a big frustration. About 9 years now with a strait screw vice and no problems. No more nice bits of wood hitting the floor. The few extra seconds of winding is worth the security of knowing it will work every time. Life is too short to mess about with a dodgy vice
Regards
John

I think thats the right decision tibi. In my case they replaced the vice and within a year the replacement vice was doing the same thing. I made the best of it for a few more years but it was a big frustration. About 9 years now with a strait screw vice and no problems. No more nice bits of wood hitting the floor. The few extra seconds of winding is worth the security of knowing it will work every time. Life is too short to mess about with a dodgy vice
Regards
John
Thank you very much John, hopefully the next one will be better. I will rather turn the handle more and be sure of the grip than having heavy boards falling on my feet / or breaking the edges when hitting the floor.

Back