Quick question about finger joints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WiZer,

I have the same DVD and have looked at the relevant section, comparing it with the list of steps in your earlier post. Unfortunately I don't see any difference - sorry :cry:. However, I am fairly certain that you do have to allow for the thickness of the blade twice (as in the DVD) as if you don't, your grooves would be even wider (if I'm still thinking straight at this time of night.)

My best guess is to check the size of your setting block to make sure it is 17.5mm and not 20 and if trying again, check carefully the fence positions.

I'm particularly interested in this thread as I had planned on using the same technique on a project once I get a moment, so please do let us know if you are successful (and what was wrong...)

Regards,
Paul.

Wizer
Whisky just kicked in and chilled.
If I am following you correctly, Set the fence to 37.5 clamp your pieces together, make a spacer 17.5 mm. Do the first cut with spacer in place between fence and work, remove spacer and nibble out until you reach the fence. 37.5 -17.5 equals shoulder 20 movement of 17.5 + blade thickness 2.5 = gap 20.
Next setting fence 77.5 with same spacer should now work :)

In your present set up you have got the spacings reversed. The reverse of the above set up to obtain the same result is. Set fence to 40 and spacer of 17.5. Work against fence spacer other side of blade / work, First cut against fence and work across to spacer. ie 40 - 17.5 = 22.5 - blade thickness 2.5 =20. Next setting 80 with same spacer.

I am now totally confused but I am sure the answer is now correct :? :) going to bed with a mussy head.

Les.

got the second settings wrong should be ok now

A new day clear head :wink: :shock: double checked my calculations and they are correct :D . Should now work OK worth a try as you already have the spacer made. Might be worth making a couple of spacers to put between the fence and job more accurate than readjusting the fence each time.

Les

les chicken":328ea5k3 said:
ps You seem to be having fun :lol: I hope you are not disappointed with your purchase.

LOTS of fun les, especially as the missus has just given permission for me to build a workshop on the side of the house! :D

Thanks for taking the time to work it out, your calculations seem to make sense to me too! I will let you know how I get on.

PaulH: Thanks, I thought i'd written down the procedure correctly. Maybe the DVD is wrong :?:

DW: Thanks for that. Interesting read. I didn't realise this jig was so 'technical'

Further good news is that I got my RSDE2 dust extractor for my birthday yesterday, so in the time before the workshop gets built i can work in the conservatory (if i'm lucky!)

Thanks again guys... update soon..

A workshop :lol: :D :D now or in the spring, wood or brick built. If wood and you need some help on the design I will give you a run through on how I built the pool room next door or the summer house just up the road that you saw.

Les

Now I have permission to build from the missus then I need to sit down and think about it. I doubt it will get built this year now. I need to think about dimensions, etc but almost deffinately in wood.

I'll let you know when i've worked out the basics ;)

lol Chris, the missus read that! I have to be careful, she may withdraw planning permission! :shock: :?

Well, I had another go at the box joint today. It went sensationally wrong. I can't even explain what happened, it was completely off! TBH I think I was rushing and mis-measured something. Deffinately user error today. (homer)

I'm out celebrating my birthday tonight so if I do attempt anything tomorrow I will have to double triple check what i'm doing to allow for hangover head! :|

Good fun setting up my RSDE2 extractor today tho.

Back