Quick Poll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osb or plywood for garage walls

• Osb

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Plywood

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Depending on conditions, I'd edge toward ply for moisture resistance in a garage. If you paint it white (you probably should paint either for light return vs. electricity costs and lighting) and seal the edges and the garage is dry then OSB is cheaper. I originally voted Plywood but in the best spirits of fanatic totalinarist power abuse I've rescinded it to abscond on the criteria of the dampness of your garage. *Salutes Violently*

I voted OSB because that is what I have in the shop. Garage actually has drywall. If I could have afforded sanded plywood for the shop that is what I would have bought. As it was OSB was even cheaper than drywall at the time.

Pete

Does it have to be 18mm thick? Or can it be less- I want to use french cleats on the walls?

Just use what you can get for the best price that will meet your requirements for attaching shelves etc, just paint the rear with a bitumen paint which will seal it against moisture ingress. The ply is more likely to delaminate unless you use a good quality.

Very much depends on the quality of plywood you select.
For your purpose, osb is way better than the cheapest plywood, but vastly inferior to the best plywood.

Before the recent price crazyness £ for £ osb was better value I expect it will remain so although in this neck of the woods the price has increased over 50% in the last few months.

if your buying a good few sheets...look for a plywood importer....they sell off damaged (fork lift) and stained sheets cheaply...
there used to be a good one in Luton....
I bought 6 pallets x 67sheets x 1/2 n 4 x19mm x 50sheets shuttering ply (Brasil).....them were the days...

OSB is absoute tat.....unless it's 3/4 or above....

I used OSB as I wanted the slightly rough finish effect. But what a nightmare to paint white - took ages with a big rough brush, as every nook and cranny needs touching up. I would try to spray it next time. Looks great now, and the rough finish hides any scuffs.

I lined mine with shuttering ply. I had 90mm insulation to put in (the garage is only a single block wall away from the rest of the bungalow - it shouldn't have been built that way in 1976) and wondered how best to do it. I ended up fixing 95mm x 45mm timbers through the ceiling and hanging the sheets from them. All manner of crepe is hung from the sheets, but the top timbers don't actually carry much as the boards are mostly touching the floor.

I lined my workshop with osb. It was cheaper and I believe better for the planet. It's made of European softwood waste rather than some exotic Brazilian timber from the other side of the world.

I am going to buck the trend and say neither. All my sheds are lined with 18mm 8x2 chipboard T&G flooring sheets, waterproof easy to work with, nice tight joints and a smooth finish. Cheaper too if you go to the right place and get a decent discount for quantity.
That's a great idea.

Flooring particle board is a much overlooked product. I dont know what it costs in the UK but here it is very cost effective compared to ply. Used it to make my lathe bench. Its way better than any of the cheap plys and is strong, flat and very stable.
Regards
John

Just make sure you get the waterproof type, not sure they even sell the ordinary type anymore as I haven't seen any for ages. All the suppliers round here now only seem to stock the waterproof type, but worth checking.

Back