Quick Oak table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameslee30

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all. i know iv not posted on here much but its always nice looking at other people work. iv just finished a little oak table i made. Made it out of scraps in the workshop and it was mainly produced just so i know how long it would take to make. In the end after 4 coats of polish and a wax it has taken 11hours in total (not all in one go though), which doesnt seem too bad to me. comments and critisicm always welcomed :D .

Apologies for the quality of the photos...taken on my phone and its full of sawdust! Many thanks, James

31052010148.jpg

31052010149.jpg
[/img]

That is a very nice table James. What is the dark band around the edge and is it inset into the top? I would think you are very pleased with this piece, I know I would be. :wink:

It is just some strips of 5x5mm wenge. Nabbed the idea from my boss who did it on a piece we did recently at work.

Thanks Very much :)

looks very nice.

I would be a little concerned that any movement in the solid top would show in the wenge insert although the top doesnt look too big so movement shouldnt be too great.

cheers

jon

I like that, especially the band. Very nice.

I like that very much, it has good proportions, and as already mentioned, that band adds a nice detail. I'm not hot about the little cove on the apron as the rest of the table is square, and it looks a little out of place, but that is me being super-critical. I'd be very pleased with myself if I made something of that quality in just 11 hours.

Thankyou for all the kind comments :). I was unsure about the cove but i wasnt sure if it could look a little to plain.

As for movement, i hadnt actually thought of that :? but the top is only 400mm square so all being well it'l be ok!

James

Is it a cove? I'd call that a bead? But I agree, would probably been nicer without. But we all have differing views, as you've seen if you've read one or two posts here ;)

hmm yes your right its a bead. wasnt really thinking before..in fact, would it be a reed? or am i lost again?

And yes wizer i have noticed that, but everyone has differing tastes!

Nice work mate, well made and in quick time too. Did your 11 hours include the finishing? Plus what finish did you use?

For an 11 hour project, that' s good going. I'd have put the lower rails a tad higher up the leg...if I were to fit them at all, not really needed if the interior corners are reinforced with blocks - Rob

Again, thanks all :D . Yup the 11 hours included finishing. it was 4 coats of french polish and then a quick wax. (actually only the second time i'v used french polish).

To be honest your right, it didnt really need the bottom rails, i just thought 'why not!'

How high would you have put the bottom rails? i was undecided so went for 50mm up. Do you think it should have been much more 70mm?

Cheers, james.

Back