Quick Little Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well after delivering the the dresser yesterday spend a couple of hours this morning emptying extractors, changing blades etc then ran up this little box out of the offcut pieces of the cherry and left over dentil inlay.

Will get it polished tomorrow.

DSCF3815.jpg

DSCF3817.jpg

DSCF3822.jpg

Nice box Dodge =D> is the base veneered? how did you join your 45s together?

Yes the base is veneered mdf, veneered on both sides and let into a groove the same as the fielded panel in the top. The mitred corners had a size 10 biscuit in the lower half before gluing up. I am planning on putting in some decorative veneer keys tomorrow.

mailee":zqzsbuta said:
Incredible! See your still smoking that Whizz then. :lol: That is fast Rog. :eek:

Dont smoke and dont drink - purely fuelled by caffeine!! even have an espresso machine in the workshop!

devonwoody":2ms9k1o7 said:
I like it as well..

The lid interests me, if you have got the time, how did you do the inlays?

The 3mm dentil inlay lines are simply let into a groove cut with a 3mm router cutter set to the right depth, the corners of the inlay duly mitred and stuck in with titebond original.

To form the pocket for the round fan I firstly made a round hole of exactly the same size in an offcut of 18mm MDF by spinning it on the lathe mounted on a simple screwchuck and cutting in with a 1/8"parting tool effectively cutting free the piece i want to keep leaving the waste disc on the screwchuck.

When you are happy that the hole in the mdf is exactly the right size, stick it to the wood to be inlayed with double sided tape and then use a 1/2" top bearing guided router cutter to run round the inside of the mdf template forming the recess to the right depth.

Remove the MDF template and stick the motiff in and when dry lightly scrape surface with a cabinet scraper to clean up

Job done! Hope this makes sense

Hi Mark,

To be honest I have had those cramps for ages, believe it or not I got them free at a woodworking show in the mid nineties when I bought a power tool, have got three of them and they are great for projects like this. Bessey make a similar version that Axi sell

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bessey-besse ... rod844202/

Anyway got the box finished this morning and dropped it in to my clients this afternoon on my way home

Dscf3833.jpg

Dscf3835.jpg

I thoroughly enjoy making all my projects but there is something nice about small boxes.

I am a great believer in that you must like the project you are working on but must also take time to make things purely to "feed the soul" so that you do not get bored!

Rog

1. did you make the box 'as one' then split the top from the bottom an the bench saw?
2. if yes is that an insert inside slightly proud of the side's?
3. no more questions just =D> =D> =D> well done.

Stew

Yes you are right Stew, the box was made in one and then I prefer to run a 3mm router cutter around the box running the fence against an edge, I dont cut right through with the router cutter but leave a couple of mms which i finish with a fine japanese saw. the edges exposed can then be simply planed flat after chiselling off the excess.

The lining was inserted after completion on this occasion.

Hope this answers your query

Back