Quick "How to" please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex Barn Workshop

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't given it much thought, but I just dropped off a tortoise bed (surprisingly my first!) at a customer's home and she asked me if I could remove the CD trays from either side of this unit and replace with shelves.

1642006741366.png

I took a quick picture with my camera.

A look tells me that taking the side panels off isn't viable, it's probably a covered chipboard and glued, so would almost certainly split.

I'm happy that i can prise the cd holders out, but how can I attach new pins or rails for the shelves, I don't have enough width for any drill I own etc.

My initial thought is to panel pin in shelf supports, but that isn't highly satisfactory.

I'm sure I'll think of another method overnight, but thought someone on here has probably done a similar thing before.

Thanks.

It’s possible if they are a black plastic fitting that you push the CD and it pops up and out by the prong at the back ,if its a fitting like that they could be screwed in , that’s how I used to fit them

I can only suggest a right angle drill bit holder to undo screws and then a drill a 3mm hole for shelf studs , use masking tape and a stick with say 32mm/ 50mm spacing marked on the stick

Use a 3m shelf stud

Attachments

• F65FC03E-4723-4C8B-A21C-972137698383.png
    F65FC03E-4723-4C8B-A21C-972137698383.png
    362.4 KB · Views: 10
Not sure how deep the shelves are, but you could make a "false" back and attach the shelves to that. This could be the same colour as the shelves which may need gluing and screwing to take a moderate load without distorting.

Not sure how deep the shelves are, but you could make a "false" back and attach the shelves to that. This could be the same colour as the shelves which may need gluing and screwing to take a moderate load without distorting.
I like this from an experimental point of view, more fun than other methods I had thought of. With a thick enough false back, it could be rebatted to add strength

Just glue the shelves in place. Or if they need to be removeable, glues some plastic angle molding in place and rest the shelves on that. Pva for wood or CT1 or similar for plastic. Plenty strong enough for such tiny shelves.

Buy a right angle gizmo for your cordless drill ,make up a template to fit inside with holes drilled, pop it in then mark your holes with a brad or other pointy thing :)

How many shelves? Possibly just one, to line up with the main cabinet and create a space to take a few books??
I would be thinking along the lines of screws with the heads cut off as supports and a shelf/shelves with a slot along the edge, to slide into the recess. This way the supports will be totally hidden and the shelf can be permanently fixed through the rear panel. If you’re using veneered chipboard/mdf with a solid lip at the front this will allow you to easily cut the slot on a table saw first. The screws should be easy enough with a stubby screwdriver, cut the heads off, slide the shelf in and screw through the rear panel. Job done.

The screws should be easy enough with a stubby screwdriver, cut the heads off, slide the shelf in and screw through the rear panel. Job done.
Rather than screw through the rear panel maybe form some small recesses in the underside of the shelves for the cut off screws to rest in and not being visible. You would need 4 screws per shelf for this though.

Back