Quick Blade Question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm new to Scrolling and the Cheap Blades that came with the saw don't seem as sharp as they did so I'm going to get some new ones.
I did order a set of Spiral Blades to try but the flat blade adapters for my saw are very fiddly and the spiral blades where that thin (size 0) I broke two of them before I even managed to cut quarter of an inch :( .
I think I saw somewhere that some people use number 7 blades most, but when I've had a quick look on Amazon at the blades they don't mention blade numbers just teeth per inch or something similar (please excuse my ingnorance :oops: ).

So what size/tpi should I get as general purpose blades? I think I'll stick to pinned blades for now as trying the blade adapters nearly had me taking a hammer to the saw (hammer) #-o .

hi, I get all mine from axminster, they have loads of choices, my local one is half hour away so not too bad,maybe see if there is one local to you,or they deliver and theres free delivery on orders over £30

Hi Shaggy, welcome to the forum. I think you said you had an Aldi scroll saw right? If so, it is probably a generic saw like the Record Power, Sheppach etc. (I have a Record Power SSV 16). Firstly I would advise you to get a set of quick release blade clamps. I got mine from NMA Agencies for around £19. (They are not shown on their web site so you will need to ring them and ask specifically for them). Believe me they will make life so much easier and scrolling much more
Enjoyable.

Secondly, blade choice is entirely a matter of personal preference, but I would say that quality blades are essential. Personally I use Pegas blades from Axminster Tools, and my normal size choices are numbers 2, 3 and 5 skip tooth.

Hope this helps a bit and happy scrolling.

Charley

If you google scrollsaw blade chart that will tell you the teeth per inch. Number 7 blades are 12 teeth per inch. The more teeth per inch the lower the number of the blade. That’s according to the chart I looked at anyway. I buy mine off eBay and can find the number blades easy on there. I prefer the pinless blades. They are more fiddly to fit but it gets easier the more you do it. A few people on here recommend pegas blades. I’ve tried some and they were good. My favourite number blades so far are 5 and 7 but that’s cutting around one inch thickness wood not tried spiral blades yet. Heard they were tricky to use.

+1 for Pegas.

I also get mine from Axminster. Their delivery is very reasonable unless you live in Orkney - did I ever mention my problem..... no, let's no go there again!

Seriously though, I highly recommend the Pegas blades and Axminster seem to be the cheapest.

I tend to use 3, 5, 7 and flip between reverse skip tooth and modified geometry as the mood takes me (no real logic) for my intarsia work.

As for spiral blades, I know some swear by them and for some work, nothing else will do but I'm sure many on here will agree with my opinion that they are the work of the devil. They are nigh on impossible to "steer", and I fear could knock a beginners confidence. I would give them a wide berth.

Regards

Phill

Thanks guys, I'll Oder some 5s and 7s and see how get on.

linkshouse":2bra3fci said:
I tend to use 3, 5, 7 and flip between reverse skip tooth and modified geometry as the mood takes me (no real logic) for my intarsia work
What are "modified geometry", don't think I noticed those before?

+1 for Pegas blades here.

"Modified Geometry" blades come from the complete Pegas range (metal cutting blades are included as well).Send me a PM and I'll send you a chart of the complete Pegas range (it's in .pdf format so I can't post it here), IF you can't find the same chart on the Axminster web site (Axi are the UK dealers forPegas).

The modified geometry blades by Pegas are relatively new, what they've done is to alter the angle of the tooth leading edge a bit (that's the bit that does the actual cutting), and they've opened out the gullet (between each tooth) so that dust is cleared better.

I have some, but to be honest I can't say I've noticed a big difference - it probably depends on what wood you're cutting, and cutting speed.

Like the other posters, my go-to blades are usually Pegas reverse skip, sizes 3 & 5, sometimes 7 or even 9, depending on wood thickness and how tough - 7 and 9 are really good on high quality birch ply (lots of laminations), say 21 mm thick and up.

HTH

AES - oh yeah, sorry, a belated welcome to the Forum

AES":3w1ngxnr said:
Send me a PM and I'll send you a chart of the complete Pegas range (it's in .pdf format so I can't post it here),
?? Have you tried a Pdf?

Since the new Forum layout, I must confess NO, I haven't Chas. But I did try .pdf in the "good old days" (! :D ) and I couldn't then.

Next time I'll try, but this time the OP has got the file I was referring to direct from the Pegas ("Scies" company) site.

Thanks for the tip.

AES

Back