questions re wireless and broadband etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had broadband for about a year now, I'm with Orange, as was Wanadoo, as was Freeserve. The modem they provided me with has a connection to the phone line and a USB plug.
I bought a wireless router this morning, and find that it doesn't have a USB socket, but it has sockets such as one would use for LAN.
Am I right in assuming that he problem is with the modem, and that I will have to change it before I can go wireless?
TIA
John

John,

There are two options, change the modem for one with an ethernet interface and connect the router you bought to that, or change the router for one with a modem built in, that just plugs into the phone line and proved both wired (via RJ45 sockets) and wireless connections.

DaveL is right John. Easiest thing by far, if you can do it, is to take the router back and get one with the modem built in. Don't cost much more and easier to install etc.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Thanks chaps, after much head bangingly trawls through the Orange website and a call to India, it now becomes clear that I can get the necessary stuff from Orange themselves for no more than I already pay them. I don't know why they make their website and offers so difficult to understand, whether that's a deliberate policy?
Anyway, it would all appear to be sorted now, and I will have to see if Currys want their router back

John

Back