Questions on general finishes finishes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p111dom

Established Member
Reaction score
Having used Osmo pretty much exclusively for two years now I have a project that really needs something that offers a bit more protection. Arm a Seal is the way I want to go but I have a few questions.

Firstly I'd like to apply a sanding sealer first mainly as this will show up any areas I might have missed with regards to glue stains or inadequate sanding but General finished don't list a sanding sealer in their non-water based range. Is the water based on compatable with a top coat of poly?

Secondly, the project is quite fiddley with panels and recesses making it difficult to wipe on without getting runs. I was thinking about spraying this finish on. Does the thinner consistency of the wipe on product mean I'll get away without thinning it down further? If not, what is best to thin it down with?

Thirdly, I could dispense with the Arm-a-seal idea and go with a full waterbased product ie buy their water based sanding sealer and then top coat it with their water based poly. Has anyone tried this product? Is it as tough as the Arm-a-seal and just as water resistant?

All advice welcome.

Arm-R-Seal is an oil varnish blend? So you could thin it with naptha. But I wouldn't think it's a good idea to spray, kinda misses the point of it being a wipe-on finish.

If you are confident with your spraying, then TWW has had good results spraying the GF PolyAcrylics.

If it's got naptha in it I wouldn't try a spray. The risk of a static spark and a bang simply takes it way beyond common sense.

Well I rang the GF rep who basically said not to spray or use a sanding sealer. Says the yanks finds it funny that in the UK, people use a sanding sealer before a clear top coat. He says putting a none durable base finish may compromise the harder top coat so advises just using the arm a seal. He also says that it cannot be sprayed. It' just that I had coated a sample piece with three coats and thought the wood looked a little cold compared to the osmo but I did that sample about three weeks ago now and it's amazing how in just that short space of time its yellowed
up slightly giving a slightly better result. I'll be putting about 5 coats on the piece so I hope it will be fine.

Dom. Marc Spag recommends not using Seal-A-Cell, but I forget what he says to use in it's place. I'm sure he says that Seal-Cell is just a thinned Arm-R-Seal.

If I get some time later I will see if I can find the video

Thanks Tom. Have had a few unexpected emergencies over that last few days so the build has slipped further. Still that just gives me more time to get the finish right.

Back