Questions from a beginner..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drillbit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Got my first lathe this week (Jet 1014) and I am totally hooked and totally frustrated!

I have some questions which I would really be grateful if anyone can help with.

1. Chatter - When I am roughing out to get a cylinder, why does the piece keep chattering the gouge back at me really hard? It ends up chattering back and forth much more than in videos I have watched. Am I trying to take off too much, not sharp enough, too high, too low, too close?

2. Sharpening - all the videos I have seen on sharpening seem to use bench grinders, but replacing the wheel with something finer. I have a Scheppach sharpening system like this will it be ok for sharpening turning tools, or do I need something coarser?

3. Tools - I already had some gouges I inherited which have a small handle, same size as a normal bevel chisel. I also bought some cheap Axminster gouges which turned out to have much longer blades and handles than I was expecting. I can't get anything lilke as good results with the new long ones, but that may be because they need better sharpening than I have managed. Should I be using the longer gouges - I can't find anyone selling shorter ones..

Sorry for all the questions.

drillbit":1esb27v2 said:
1. Chatter - When I am roughing out to get a cylinder, why does the piece keep chattering the gouge back at me really hard? It ends up chattering back and forth much more than in videos I have watched. Am I trying to take off too much, not sharp enough, too high, too low, too close?

The best suggestion I have is that you get together with a turning tutor or at least someone close to you who has experience, if you want or must go it alone then I strongly recommend that you get yourself a copy of Keith Rowleys Book " Wood turning-A Foundation Course. There is a link in the help Stikys A section I suggest you have a browse of.

2. Sharpening - all the videos I have seen on sharpening seem to use bench grinders, but replacing the wheel with something finer. I have a Scheppach sharpening system like this will it be ok for sharpening turning tools, or do I need something coarser?
You can use your existing wet grinder but I'm afraid it will come with the penalty of wearing the flat surface of the wheel quite rapidly, a standard white wheel grinder is far more practical.

3. Tools - I already had some gouges I inherited which have a small handle, same size as a normal bevel chisel. I also bought some cheap Axminster gouges which turned out to have much longer blades and handles than I was expecting. I can't get anything lilke as good results with the new long ones, but that may be because they need better sharpening than I have managed. Should I be using the longer gouges - I can't find anyone selling shorter ones..

Long handled turning tools are the norm, the extra length of the handle is required for correct body support and control against the forces encountered. Your Bouncing tool problem is most likely due to the lack of firm control and or wrong presentation, Tool choice for task is also a factor, "The Book" will demonstrate Safe and correct methods.

Thanks for your advice CHJ. Book ordered.

A course would be ideal, but struggling to find one near me. Might need to go to Oxford. Wish I had never moved away from there because they seem to have a decent woodturning club too.

"a standard white wheel grinder"

Sorry to be dense, but could you point me at a link to what you mean by this? I am a bit confused with the different bench grinders. Can I buy one which is appropriate right out of the box? Or do I need to buy a separate wheel and change the original?

drillbit":1z6w5xyw said:

A course would be ideal, but struggling to find one near me. Might need to go to Oxford. Wish I had never moved away from there because they seem to have a decent woodturning club too.

Sorry to be dense, but could you point me at a link to what you mean by this? I am a bit confused with the different bench grinders. Can I buy one which is appropriate right out of the box? Or do I need to buy a separate wheel and change the original?

Something like this http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod789070/

they also do a slow running ( 1450 rpm ) grinder but its £125 depends on your budget , slower speed means less heat and less heat means tools last longer and dont go blue altering the hardness of the steel

A lot depends upon your budget:
The white wheel on this one will do the job. (Beaten to the punch by blister)
If you are flush with money then one of the Creusen models will no doubt run smoother out of the box and last a couple of generations.

Record Power and several other brands do equivalents but a read up of the specifications from the above links should point you in the right direction.

The quality of the grinding wheels is far more important than the specification of the motor, the important factor being that the wheels are balanced correctly and dressed to run true.

As a beginner you will need to budget for a sharpening jig of some description, from a personal preference I would say the Tormek system for use with a bench grinder is your best bet, it will no doubt also be usable on your wet grinder with a little ingenuity on fixing support.

I prefer buying from Axminster when possible, so I have my eye on their grinder.

The only problem is, after the £250 for the lathe, another £60 for the cheapest tools I could find, and the book, I am going to struggle to justify another £45 to my poor wife, who puts up with my very expensive woodworking habit. Especially because I can see myself needing to invest in some nice blanks before very long... I wish I'd taken up something cheap like running my own Formula 1 team.

So looks like I might have to do what I can with the Scheppach and a homemade jig for a few weeks until I can afford the grinder. But at least I know what I am aiming for now. Thanks both of you.

drillbit":3nch66ev said:

Looking at where you are, it would probably be well worth a visit to Toolpost at Didcot http://www.toolpost.co.uk/index.html

If you go midweek he will usually have time to talk you through basics. They do courses there as well

Back