Questions about Jessem router and TS stock guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicMan

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering about the Santa list ... I am tempted by the Jessems router and table saw stock guides, but put off by the price! Questions

1. Is it OK to use the cheaper router guides on the TS as well, assuming a suitable horizontal T-track is embedded in the fence? What are the advantages of the TS version?

2. When ripping, I of course use a short auxiliary fence attached to the main fence (Wadkin AGS10 older model). The Jessem TS system seems to assume a full width fence, and places the two guides before and after the saw blade edge. Will this not force the waste/work on the fence side of the cut into unsupported air after the end of the work has passed the end of the short fence? Is this a problem?

3. If the short fence is a problem, is it useful to use just one Jessem guide just before the cut?

I have a multi-slot aluminium fence on the router, which I think will take the router guides perfectly well, and a short wooden auxiliary fence on the table saw. I'm amenable to a shop-made version also, as I have the metalwork shop and skills, but it looks like quite a lot of work to build something as effective.

Thanks for sharing experience.

Keith

Have a look on page one and page nine of this thread: axminster-ts250-2-modifications-t102284.html

The JessEm Table saw guides are extendable out from the fence to give better support to wider stock, they are also spring loaded unlike the router stock guides, ideally they are used with a full length fence as they will, due to their design, almost eliminate kick back which is the reasoning behind a short fence.

Mike

Forgot to mention I have both the router and table saw units and consider them perfect for their intended use, highly recommended.

I have used the router clear stock guides on the table saw mounted on with the additional mounting brackets to an MDF back board but this was for controlling some laminated drum table half rounds. The TS clear stock guides are much more robust and much better for table saw work.

David Stanton recently produced this video using them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMYbMbTJdH0

Cheers Peter

Thanks Peter. That was useful and shows the router guides are OK on the TS for smaller pieces. I can't get big boards in my workshop anyway so they might do.

Have you also tried the other way round, i.e. TS guides on the router table? I've seen a brief mention but not a real evaluation.

Cheers, Keith

Hi Keith, I haven't tried them on the router table but they are designed to fit the JessEm fence.

You are more than welcome to come and see both of them at my workshops to see and feel the difference for yourself. Best to ring or email ahead of time to ensure some one is free to show them to you.

Looks like your not to far away so if you fancy a run out and a cuppa let us know.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":3n005y73 said:
Hi Keith, I haven't tried them on the router table but they are designed to fit the JessEm fence.

You are more than welcome to come and see both of them at my workshops to see and feel the difference for yourself. Best to ring or email ahead of time to ensure some one is free to show them to you.

Looks like your not to far away so if you fancy a run out and a cuppa let us know.

Cheers Peter

That's very kind, Peter, I will take you up on that when I have a chance.

Best wishes

Keith

Back