question....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sir Frank Whittle was inventor of the jet engine. Who was the other?

i need the answer for this for errr..... my homework :lol: could look on the internet but you are all so clever people i thought id ask you :p :lol:

Ta

Tom

well there goes your 3rd out of the window (drill press that was) :p

it was Dr. Hans von Ohain for the people who didn't know!

THAT WORKSHOP IS MINE

woops where did that come from :roll:
:lol:

Tom

A Czech was credited with building the 1st jet between 1913 & 1919

The Wittle jet was flown by P.E.G Sayer. Gerry to some but Peggy to his friends. My father ground tested engines at GAC during the war where Peggy was his drinking pal.

This has nothing to do with this particular subject but does involve a plane :)
This reminds me of a story my dad told me recently, he's 90 and saw active service during WW2 in the British Navy as one of the first Radar Officers and was involved in lots of secret radar stuff, winning an award for the longest radar tracking of a German bomber heading towards Britain which was finally intercepted and brought down by British fighters. But the story he told me was about the Americans who were heavily involved in making special parts for our radar systems and because they couldn't trust normal lines of communication the MOD sent my dad, via flying boat a Boeing Bristol II on a single flight known as a 'short slaughter' in 1944, all the way to New York and then on to Baltimore to meet with an American factory owner whose factory, Westing House, was producing the parts needed. When my dad finally arrived in Baltimore he was informed by the factory owner that his work force had all gone on strike and were on a go slow and the part would not be ready on time. My dad got that little 'hiccup' sorted out by visiting the Pentagon and talking with senior military officers etc who then had a 'chat' with Westing House :wink: My dad was sent home on the Queen Mary along with 17,000 US troops. Fortunately he kept all the paper work, notes of events, humorous happenings, photos etc in folders from his wartime experiences and has passed them onto me and they make great reading I can tell you!

hi Dog,
i like war time stories, although sometimes they seem to be a little exaggerated when my grandad is talking about "the war".

He always starts the stories by saying "during the war" :p

Still its all very interesting!

Tom

Yeah, I know what you mean Tom. My dad's story sounds as if he got Westing House put in order but the actual story involved many departments of the Royal Navy and would drag on in it's full length. However, reading through things of those times it is impossible to imagine what it would have been like unless one had experienced either it, WW2, or something similar.

A very interesting story, Richard. Glad to hear you have all of your Dad's old records - amazing how they managed to keep them all together in those times, isn't it?

My old Dad was in the Guards Armoured Division and I recall him telling me of the welcome he received on the first tank into Brussels. There were many other fascinating stories he told but, sadly, all those memories died with him when he passed away a few years ago. Hang on to those invaluable records!

My wife has a diary kept by her grandfather whilst in the battlefield during WWI!

We haven't got much to complain about have we?

Cheers,

Trev.

You're quite right Trev, sadly so many people leave us without actually having put anything on paper or recording it in some way for future generations to try to understand a little of what those times were like. My dad, on the other hand, has kept a record from the start to the finish of his experiences in WW2 and things like a 'one dollar bill' signed by the captain and crew of the Boeing Bristol, official letters from US and British military, photo's etc, a real and to me priceless treasure, best of all he's still around to tell the tale and I'm going to tape his verbal stories and put them onto CD for safe keeping ;)

30 years ago I lived in South Africa. My brother was with his fiancee who was born in Britain of a Spanish Mother & German father. They went to the cinema to see 'A Bridge Too Far' about Arnem. The father froze & couldn't wait to leave. He had been with the 6th panzer division & the film was so accurate that he felt as if he were back there. He had become a prisoner of war some time later & had been sent to Britain. He loved the country & settled here after the war only emigrating in the late 60s looking for work when redundancies were high & work scarce. I saw the war from a Germans perspective for the first time. Those young men were fighting for their country the same as ours were. They hated the politics involved the same as our people did.

Back