Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Question on order for tapping thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

smckerrell

Reaction score
Hi all

Newbie here, thank you for adding me.

I’ve just bought and had delivered three M4 taps to make a thread in some mild steel—the three are supposed to be used in order—is there an easy way for me to tell which one to use first, second and third please?

The only difference I can visually see is a slight difference in each in where the thread begins proper—so hoping that might be useful?

All help much appreciated

Simon

Bod

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
1st tap has least threads, and most taper.
2nd tap has small amount of taper.
3rd tap has no taper, and full threads.
If the metal is not too thick the maybe only the first two are needed.
The third is for threading blind holes almost to the bottom.

Bod

redhunter350

Established Member
Reaction score
Simon, Bod is correct but just do you know there are also sets of “serial” taps. These ere much the same except the taper and second taps are a smaller diameter thus cutting progressively deeper threads and the third or plug tap must be used for the final thread. Don’t forget to use a suitable cutting lubricant !
John

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Also to add to the order of the taps and most important is drilling the correct hole for the size of tap and keeping it square to the hole otherwise it may become harder to tap the deeper you go. Normally ends up breaking a top. Turn tape 1/4 turn in then reverse to start with as a beginner

hawkeyefxr

Established Member
Reaction score
As a rule of thumb only turn the tap about a quarter of a turn when cutting the thread, you then back it off anticlockwise then carry on. If it feels sticky reduce this to an eight of a turn and back off.