question for expats in France

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnluc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, not posted much for some time, will be doing a lot more turning this year, have noticed a few more ex pats living here in France, my question is where do you guys source your supplies, tools, accesories, pen kits etc, i get most of my stuff from axminster in Kent when i return on trips, but if i need anything the postal charges become really expensive, example i need a replacement grinding wheel, phoned a supplier in uk for a micocrystaline wheel and was quoted £12 postage, another for a ruby wheel and that was £18 pound postage. :shock:
johnluc.

I regularly send stuff to Europe and those postage rates are what it costs check out the Royalmail price finder page to send 1kg to Europe costs £7.82 and if you want it signed for for tracking purposes add another £5.35 so £12.00 for a microcrystaline wheel was just about spot on cost wise and I suspect a little less than it actually cost cos Axminster will have a special postage rate. International postage and carrier rates have climbed quite a lot over the last 3 years in some instances nearly doubled

I have a business out here with many local clients. If I need anything I get it delivered to their home address in the UK and they bring it out with them. Works for me. Bought a lathe from Axminster that way.

You need to tap into the holiday makers coming over.

Regards 'Sue'

thanks Russel & Sue for your replies, the price quoted was not Axminster it was another well known supplier,the £12 quoted was for basic postage it was another £5 odd for signed for post, and yes i do get visitors to bring stuff over but its never when you want it most.
johnluc.

Jl,

Don't know where you are, but if it is any help, I am going to Brittany in August for two weeks with the family. I will probably have a bit of spare space if that's any help.

PM me.

Greg

Hi Johnluc,
I live near Sue in the Limousin and have the same issues as you. Tools and accessories are generally cheaper in the UK but the postage chargers are constantly going up and reduce the savings made on the tools. Where abouts in France are you? It might be worth a few of us exchanging email address' and when someone is ordering from the UK we could combine postage or inform each other if anyone is going to the UK by car or friends/family visiting.

Froggy.

thanks for your kind offer Greg bit too far from me and will be in the uk before August.

Froggy, am not that far from you i am in the Vienne, about an hour away from Limoges, think i went to a vintage car show in Chateauponsac a few years ago. i will be back in the uk sometime in the spring and usually make a visit to Axminster in Kent at least once so if you need anything let me know, i asked the question in case anyone knew of any local suppliers. PITA not having what you need when you want it and having to wait a week or more and paying over the odds. :(
johnluc.

Back