Question for computer people

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been having a bit of a sort out and have found my little Cannon BJC85 printer, it's a neat little thing and ideal for use with my current laptop when I'm in the campervan and touring around..

Only problem is it only has a one of those 60 pin parallel 'D' sockets and my lap top seems to only have USB ports.

Is it possible to buy some kind of gizmo which will enable the lap top USB cable to be converted to a 60 pin parallel cable :?: :?: :?: :?:

Probably something I should know the answer to but I don't :roll:

Stevie / Henton - thanks for reply, that's what I need and I can relax a bit now I know they are available, I'm obliged

Woody thanks for the pointer to E-bay quite difference in price, I've never bought of E-bay before, I hope they don't want me to register and send them all my personal details.

Woody Alan":ky3ta8l3 said:
That was just the first one, just search USB to Parallel
Alan

Woody, as you suggested I will search a bit more, looked at that one and tried to read the 'Returns Policy' and got put off by the terrible grammer, didn't give me a sense of dealing with a bona fide retailer, more like a bedroom in a council flat :lol:

But as I said above the main thing is you and the others have reassured me that these things are available so I'm chuffed about that.

Hi Losos

We have exchanged ideas many moons passed, so I hope you don't mind me pointing out that
terrible grammer
is one of those unusual circumstances where oxymoron applies and despite sounding an insult is definately not a personal insult :D , although in reality I'm assuming a typo.

I shouldn't worry too much about this particular item at that price you've got a almost 1 in 10 chance of getting it wrong and still being quids in.

If you are more comfortable with Amazon....http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Parallel-Ce ... 553&sr=8-1
Again just the first one I found...and Amazon will support you against the reseller if you are nothappy, I had to do it once against a Sam Maloof book sent badly packaged. I didn't get a lot of joy out of the reseller and Amazon refunded me the money and can only assume they stung the reseller.

Regards Alan

Hi losos

Just a thought..............

if you've just found the printer then I assume it's been stored away for some time. If it has, have you tried it out on another PC?

Reason is that they have a nasty habit of drying out when not used and the printer heads tend to go on Canons. They can be a b*gger to sort out and sometimes expensive and awkward to replace, if you can get the parts.

Also, the inks very likely need renewing.

You can get new printers these days for under £30. Tesco, Asda, PC World etc. Here's a Canon on line, UK based for £25....................... http://www.protechshop.co.uk/canon-pixm ... inter.html

Bob

Lons - very good point, and I must admit that the Maplin price had me thinking I'd be better off buying a new printer :lol:

I have some new print cartridges in sealed foil packs, I just switched it on today (after about six years doing nothing) there was an error light indicating a print cartridge problem, which as you say means it's dried out, well it would be after six years :roll:

When I was using it it worked like a dream, and I'm the sort of person who doesn't like to chuck things out if they are working OK, I have a big Cannon for the desk top and I just thought that this BJC85 would be just right for the laptop.

Thanks for your thoughts 'tho

Woody, don't have a problem with Amazon, have used them many times (for books) not for anything else 'tho.

If the ink on and in the heads are dried up take the whole assembly out and place in a saucer of lukewarm water. This has helped me in the past.

If it were me I'd try out the printer first on another computer though a couple of quid is little to waste on a cable, if the printer is b*ggered then the cable will go into your collection never to be used again.

I'm the sort of person who doesn't like to chuck things out if they are working OK
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You should see my place then, bet I've got more "might come in useful stuff" than you :roll:

Woody, don't have a problem with Amazon, have used them many times (for books) not for anything else 'tho

I'd second that. I use them regularly (though NOT for books) and everything so far has been delivered quickly and without problem. If the sale is through one of their partners watch out as there are occasionally hidden postage charges.

Bob

Another thing 'afore 'ee goes a'layin' out fer a USB-parallel adaptor:

The printer driver MIGHT not work through a USB port. Check that you have the printer driver disk handy, and try it out, if you can. If it's a simple Epson-type command set from years gone by, it should be OK, but if it uses a lot of the 'bi-directional' aspects of the printer port (the 25-way "D" connector on the back of the printer), there is a possibility it won't play nicely.

The adaptors aren't hugely expensive though, and it's probably worth a try anyway.

Regarding un-gumming your ink cartridges, if you need to:

If you have some, leave just the cartridge's business end standing in water overnight with wetting agent in it (cheap shampoo will do at a pinch - a couple of drops). A marmalade jar lid is about the right depth (chocolate spread is just about OK, and a whole honey jar is right out - sorry Pooh!).

Leave it overnight, then finish by holding it carefully by the other end and pouring boiling water from a kettle straight onto the printhead. Dry thoroughly by blotting gently on toilet paper, make sure the contacts and circuit board are dry, then try it. You might need to repeat the sequence to get all the jets working. If it's really clogged start with the boiling water, do not scrub at the printhead, and don't try it repeatedly in the printer when the jets are clogged (it will burn out). It works well with HP inkjet heads, but I don't know about others.

E.

I go seconds for replacing the printer and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Amazon, either UK or .fr.

Our MacBook and iMac were both got from Amazon uk and when I phoned and asked what happened if they arrived not working I was told to let them know and they would send a replacement with a returns label for the faulty one. My latest Amazon.fr purchase was a Kindle Touch last week. Same good service!!

With the prices of new printers I just wouldn't be bothered with one as old as a parallel jobbie. If you do go the parallel way then also have a look at Amazon uk. They are as little as a couple of quids..

John, the lappie is only used in the campervan, and TBH I don't think I will be printing much, I've travelled for two years with no real need so far :lol: anyway I've ordered one for the grand sum of £3.70 and if it don't work I'll try some of the tips above and if that doesn't do it then it'll go in the bin :lol: (Where I first thought it would end up when I saw it only had a parallel connector on the back)

Back