Question for a sparky

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p111dom

Established Member
Reaction score
So yesterday after running for about 10 minutes there was an almightily flash and a bang from my extractor tripping the MCB. After resetting, one of the two motors is now not running. On dismantling I found that the capacitor rather than the motor was to blame having exploded in the upper casing. Typically the rating is a little unusual. A search on the internet brings up lots of possibilities but no pictures on the RS components or CPC site. An ebay search brings up capacitors or the correct rating but they look nothing like the one in my machine being more of a box shape rather than a cylinder. I went round the vacuum repair places hoping they would have one. (Maplin do it just none in stock and have been waiting for them for ages etc). One repair shop simply said to bypass it saying it's only used as a suppressor. Are there any problems (other then TV interference) anyone can see with doing this?

Cheers

Dom

If you have a "universal" motor, which has a commutator and is noisy, then it would be a suppression capacitor. The motor will run without the capacitor

If you have an induction motor, which has no commutator and is quiet running, then it will be a starting or running capacitor. The motor won't start without the capacitor.

Not even likely to get tv interference either with so many on cable/satellite.

Bypassing should be fine.

Bob (not a real sparky though)

Hi,

If it is a supression capactior (could do with a photo) then bypassing it will cause a short circuit, so just remove it.

Pete

Back