Question about Cellulose Sanding Sealer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a small project with small parts and I want to apply Chestnut's sanding sealer and then finish with Chestnut Microcrystalline Wax.

BEFORE I glue up?

Will that work?

If not can I use the sealer and then glue up or just glue then seal/wax?

Cheers

You could use the cellulose sealer first, provided you sand all glueing surface back to bare wood once it is dry.

Wax has to be after - wax on the glue joint will lead to failure, and wax doesn't really sand off.

Items I want to finish prior to gluing I simply masking tape the joints mating surfaces with a decent masking tape usually Frog tape, apply the finish & when dry remove the tape & continue with the glue up.

Wouldn’t use sanding sealer, contains zinc stearate. Use something more modern to give a far superior, tougher, more durable finish.

It’s the ingredient that makes it feel a bit soapy and easier to sand, because it’s basically soap...

Thank you for reminding me why I don't often take part in forums... there's always someone who thinks they know more about our products than we do.

As you've said already about more modern alternatives, so it is with zinc stearate; it is not used in our Cellulose Sanding Sealer and hasn't been for quite some time.

So don't take the sealer into the shower folks, it ain't gonna do you any good!

Last edited:
Seems that you are completely correct, sir, said product does not contain it..
Perhaps I should amend my statement to, the ones I’ve used in the past contained it.
I can hold my hands up when I’m in the wrong, still doesn’t change the fact that nitro is one of the poorest types of finish available, though...
This is why you don’t like forums? Isn’t discussion, the sharing of information and getting useful advice the whole point of them?
If you can’t even take someone disagreeing with you, I would suggest avoiding the internet completely, as you’ll come across a great deal worse...

I can hold my hands up when I’m in the wrong, still doesn’t change the fact that nitro is one of the poorest types of finish available, though...
That’s because it’s not a finish, it’s a sealer used under the finish not that anyone else in the thread has suggested using it as a finish.

" I want to apply Chestnut's sanding sealer and then finish with Chestnut Microcrystalline Wax."

To all intents and purposes he is using it as a finish, though. We wax all sorts of other finishes.
I know it's an accepted thing, but I don't like using it like this - it gives precious little protection against anything. To me it's always the answer if the question is "I've only got five minutes to finish this piece, so how do I do it?"

Back