Question about bike brakes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to strip down the callipers yesterday and found that two washers were a soft aluminium alloy that had worn through. This meant the arms were able to slide about, giving the movement I had found before. Quick clean and reassemble with new washers. Now they grip with minimal movement but it seems the cable to the rear brake has seen better days. I'll replace the cables and fit some better brake blocks and hopefully it will give an old bike a few more years.
A notorious problem with these brakes was always getting them aligned correctly with the rim. When you do the bolt up they move so the blocks don't contact the rim on both sides at the same time. The official Raleigh method was to do them up tight, then use a punch on the relevant side of the spring to fine tune the alignment. They even produced a punch with a half round groove in the end to fit over the spring for doing this, part of the tool kit you were presented with at the end of their five star mechanics course at the Nottinham factory back in 1970 something, I still have mine somewhere.

That's useful to know, explains why it took me ages to get them centred. I'm sure I've got an old punch somewhere I can adapt.
Presumably you have to make the adjustment close to the loop of the spring otherwise the spring would absorb the shock rather than bend?

FWIW I don't like disc brakes, yes they are much more effective for braking, and less troubled by mud and wet etc but they are not without their drawbacks compared to simple caliper brakes.

Not that it makes much difference to me at the moment, I can't remember the last time we got the bikes out lol!
What drawbacks ?

Powerful braking system - Check
Works in all weathers - Check
Doesn't destroy the rim in use - Check
Extremely low maintenance - Check
Comes in a range of nifty colours - Check

Seems to tick all the boxes.

I can't remember the last time we got the bikes out
Nothing stopping you, still reasonable weather out there. Get out and enjoy. Bring a picnic, split up the riding time and take a rest, refill the energy reserves and return home.

Last edited:
Drawbacks of disc brake?

Lack of knowledge on how to install them- check
Buying cheapest of the cheap because they all look the same- check
Back fitting them to a lever not designed for discs (cable only) -check.
Lumping all disc brakes in to one pile -check

Did i miss anything?

Drawbacks of disc brake?

Buying cheapest of the cheap because they all look the same- check
Back fitting them to a lever not designed for discs (cable only) -check.
Lumping all disc brakes in to one pile -check

Did i miss anything?

none of those are actually drawbacks of disk brakes per se., though, are they?

What drawbacks ?

Nothing stopping you, still reasonable weather out there. Get out and enjoy. Bring a picnic, split up the riding time and take a rest, refill the energy reserves and return home.

Parts are more expensive.
More difficult to find spares, they tend to be more model specific than caliper pads.
Discs can warp.
Fiddly to adjust properly, especially on budget sets. Clearances often very low.
Annoying noise when one pad rubs.

Like I said, both types have their pros and cons. I personally think the cheap and simple caliper system is best for your average user, especially cycling around flat towns where you do very little braking. For mountain bikers or heavy users they can certainly be advantageous.

I know we should get the bikes out, we just don't have the time and living where we do you need to dedicate several hours as we have to drive to somewhere to actually cycle.

none of those are actually drawbacks of disk brakes per se., though, are they?

No he is having a go at me because that is the favourite pass time of this forum. I dared say something that someone didn't like so it's pile on time as usual.

What drawbacks ?

Used to do a lot of heavy touring (i.e. carrying camping gear) and weekend rides and got through a number of rims on the same hubs and spokes - cantilever brakes. Would have disc brakes if doing it again, without a doubt. Pay for themselves very quickly if you do the mileage, on top of the other advantages.

Used to do a lot of heavy touring (i.e. carrying camping gear) and weekend rides and got through a number of rims on the same hubs and spokes. Would have disc brakes if doing it again, without a doubt. Pay for themselves very quickly if you do the mileage, on top of the other advantages.

Sounds like the perfect situation for using discs (y)

Haven't rebuilt a wheel for 8 years or so, since easing off, so wouldn't need discs now. Do have a problem with breaking spokes occasionally as they have been through several rebuilds. I'm a bit of a skinflint.
PS just remembered one rim going at end of trip as we cruised into Roscoff. It got me to the ferry as long as I didn't try to brake but had to push off the ferry as it was completely gone.
We didn't seem to bother in the old days - seemed normal to camp up for a bit and hitch-hike off to get a spare. Carrying a wheel or looking like a cyclist guaranteed immediate lifts, no waiting at all!

Last edited:
I got my fancy road bike before disks were readily available. It has carbon rims and consequently no brakes when it rains. I would love to switch to disks but no way I can justify changing my bike. I’ve nor cycled for a week now as my knee is giving me grief. I’ve had surgery on both knees in the last 10 years.

I would rather rim brakes than mechanical disc brakes any day of the week.

Have a gravel bike with disc brakes and it is lovely. But for summer zipping about in the dry a rim braked carbon bike is also lovely.

Drawbacks of disc brake?

About the same for any component on a bike.
Average member of the public clued up about choice and fitting of a set of cranks, servicing a wheel hub or even rebuilding a headset is probably just as low.
But then who is it that actually installs disc brakes on a bike - the bike mechanic. Much like a car. Who fixes the fuel injector system, changes a head gasket or even fixes a puncture ?,certainly not for the main part the cars owner. So is that any sort of reason for not having such.
There are no specifics, discs are suitable for all types of cycling.

There are no specifics, discs are suitable for all types of cycling.

Of course, but that's like saying a HGV is suitable for all types of driving. Technically true but it wouldn't be the best choice for every persons circumstances.

I'm yet to see decent disks on a road/cx bike. Work like a dream on MTB, but in my experience road versions are rubbish with STIs.

Just my two pence.

Why not ditch the brakes and go fixie? ;):poop:

That's useful to know, explains why it took me ages to get them centred. I'm sure I've got an old punch somewhere I can adapt.
Presumably you have to make the adjustment close to the loop of the spring otherwise the spring would absorb the shock rather than bend?
Yes on the loop, or close to it. You aren't trying to bend the spring, the idea is it moves the whole assembly round on its pivot so you can get both blocks to contact the rim at the same time when you pull the lever.

I'm yet to see decent disks on a road/cx bike. Work like a dream on MTB, but in my experience road versions are rubbish with STIs.

Just my two pence.

Why not ditch the brakes and go fixie? ;):poop:
I think we have all got carried away and completely lost sight of the original problem. If you are trying to fix up an old bike, worth maybe 50 quid, then to suggest fitting it with discs is pretty daft. If you have a bike that does not already have the fixing points and so on for discs, then it is never really going to be a cost effective conversion. New hubs to take the discs, modifications to the frame to fit the mounting lugs for the calipers, the list goes on and on. Better to just go and buy something that already has them fitted.

I think we have all got carried away and completely lost sight of the original problem. If you are trying to fix up an old bike, worth maybe 50 quid, then to suggest fitting it with discs is pretty daft. If you have a bike that does not already have the fixing points and so on for discs, then it is never really going to be a cost effective conversion. New hubs to take the discs, modifications to the frame to fit the mounting lugs for the calipers, the list goes on and on. Better to just go and buy something that already has them fitted.
Yes or just bin it and buy another. Or cannibalise.
There isn't really a problem at all - our OP is just learning routine bike maintenance the old fashioned way!

Why don't lightweight road bikes have discs? Is it just weight?
PS answer here 8 reasons not to get disc brakes — find out the hassles before you switch

Last edited:
Back