Query about my flat pack tv stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney K

Reaction score
Hello, I don't know if this is the right forum but I have a question about my flat pack tv stand.

Recently had a professional build it for me but I noticed that the gap between the door on the left is much bigger than the one of the right. Also one of the shelf doors is higher than the other

Obviously this is very minimal but it's a little distracting for me. How would I fix this? I wouldn't want to call the professional back to fix such a small nitpick

I'll attach images

Attachments

• 20220503_150712.jpg
    20220503_150712.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220503_150716.jpg
    20220503_150716.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220503_150731.jpg
    20220503_150731.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 38
Generally, the hinges have fine adjustments on them. Have a look at the hinges and you may see some small grub screws. Make a note of the door position, turn any one of the grub screws half or a full turn and see what happens. You should see the door move a little. Then it's a process of tweaking each of the screws to get the best line up.

Don't mix grub screws with the screws that actually attach the hinge to the carcass. If you loosen these, the door will come loose and may fall off.

Generally, the hinges have fine adjustments on them. Have a look at the hinges and you may see some small grub screws. Make a note of the door position, turn any one of the grub screws half or a full turn and see what happens. You should see the door move a little. Then it's a process of tweaking each of the screws to get the best line up.

Don't mix grub screws with the screws that actually attach the hinge to the carcass. If you loosen these, the door will come loose and may fall off.

Very helpful, thanks a lot I'll try this now

I’d get them back to fit the doors in alignment. After all you have paid for this. If you are someone who is not able or confident doing this sort of thing and you have trouble trying to adjust these doors yourself and contact them again you risk giving them the scope to claim that it is was your intervention that caused any problems. I also think you should have put quotation marks around the word professional above. Good luck.

Last edited:
With flat-pack furniture you are at the mercy of the manufacture-in short all dowel holes being accurately drilled to the correct depth , the metal pins correctly fitted by the installer, and the metal cams that lock it all together tighten ed correctly. Sadly not all manufacturers are as accurate as you would expect and some installers are a tad heavy handed to say the least. As the gaps in your pics are not even I’m not surprised the doors don’t line up -I’d agree it’s one for the installer to sort out as -if you’ve paid for a “professional” but got a handy man quality job for your money then that is not on . If he agrees to come back and correct the issues then fair play as we can all have bad days -if he refuses then that will tell you he is not a “professional “ and should be avoided. Good luck 🤞

With flat-pack furniture you are at the mercy of the manufacture-in short all dowel holes being accurately drilled to the correct depth , the metal pins correctly fitted by the installer, and the metal cams that lock it all together tighten ed correctly. Sadly not all manufacturers are as accurate as you would expect and some installers are a tad heavy handed to say the least. As the gaps in your pics are not even I’m not surprised the doors don’t line up -I’d agree it’s one for the installer to sort out as -if you’ve paid for a “professional” but got a handy man quality job for your money then that is not on . If he agrees to come back and correct the issues then fair play as we can all have bad days -if he refuses then that will tell you he is not a “professional “ and should be avoided. Good luck 🤞
Yeah I guess you're right, thanks for the response

Yeah I guess you're right, thanks for the response
Well my personal standards imho are extremely high And the final part of any job I do be it plumbing in a radiator or fitting a few shelves or in your case a flat pack piece of furniture is standing back and looking at the work done - I’m looking for faults and asking myself if I would pay for the the job I’ve done . If it’s a manufacturer fault then I would inform and advise you accordingly. What I definitely don’t want is the customer to find the faults and then live with a sub-standard job . I feel many on this forum would agree.😊😊

If you attach some pictures of the hinges inside the door it would be helpful. As stated above it should just be a matter of adjusting a screw or two. The more expensive hinges have two screws; one for lifting the door and another for pushing the door forwards or backwards.

Not being condescending but some people can not do the job as they don't have the skill or tools and so ask somebody to do the job for them. It looks like in this case they asked the wrong person and know not to ask them again. Hopefully the unit is not damaged and can easily be sorted.

With more information the users here should be able to help you fix the problem.

I also don't like calling people back if they don't do the job correctly; I suppose it is embarrassment? The British are not supposed to a country that complains although I am turning into a Victor Meldrew in my old age. In fact I have just spent half an hour trying to contact somebody at BT as the digital voice phone won't work and I don't have a mobile. In the end I had to get the wife who has no idea to phone up or else I would have been swearing at the poor operator :mad: They said we need another phone but I know that isn't the problem so it will back onto them on Friday.

Back