quebec yellow pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just made a large set of wardrobe doors in this timber and was really impressed. also called weymouth pine. it comes in approx 12 by a fat 1 1/2 boards. at £2 a foot. why is it so good.. its amazingly stable. these were double doors 5 1/2 ft wide 70inch tall. rebated middle. and I only used one small magnet catch per door. they had stayed that flat! it is also beautifully light(and correspondingly soft) but it finishes superbly from the planer. it does suffer from large knots though I managed to cut around the biggest. I sprayed bin as a primer and it looked amazing.

confusingly it's called eastern white pine over the pond. not to be confused with southern yellow pine a nice(very) dense knot free wood.

confusingly it's called eastern white pine over the pond. not to be confused with southern yellow pine a nice(very) dense knot free wood.
If it helps you, the Latin name is Pinus strobus, native to north eastern America, USA and Canada. I can't recall hearing it called Weymouth pine before your post, but a little research shows that's a common name for it in the UK (WA Lincoln, World Woods in Colour). And a bit more research shows it picked up that name after a Captain George Weymouth brought seeds back to the UK in 1620, although he had little success growing the trees because of white pine blister rust disease: it's in Wikipedia, so it must be true, ha ha. Slainte.

just as a comparison my partner(in business!) made some tulip drawer fronts twisted 5mm each corner over 12 inch

I get it from my favourite timber yard heaths in leek staffs. it's really a hangover from the pine furniture industry in that town. I like heaths because there pricing is simple. most boards were 12 inch but the best ones (least knotty) were 10 inch. the price is the same £2 a foot..
incidentally southern yellow pine I've only ever encountered as finished mouldings from wrp. let me try this these are similar doors in redwood. diddnt know you could post pics off the forum.

Attachments

• 20200806_152746.jpg
    20200806_152746.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
pics showing, I could use a bit of this for a refurb of my bench top.

if I can't get any locally, I may have to come for a day out. pass through Bakewell and pick up a tart on the way.

the pine furniture industry was huge in the eighties and nineties in leek.back then a massive timber yard called Goodwin's imported it.(now gone). another bonus is it hardly has any resin.

I used to get a lot of it resawn from old mill timbers. It was lovely to work with, very stable as you say, and if I remember right it had a nice smell.

the first thing that amazed me was the finish from the thicknesser. I've got a spiral head with 6 month old knives in it (not the best for finish on soft stuff like whitewood) but it was superb.

Back