Quartersawn Beech Chopping Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
another project done, from woodworking masterclasses by paul sellers,

this time a beech chopping board in quartersawn beech,

very tight growth rings and blunts blades really fast but otherwise happy with how it turned out,

there was an unexpected hidden knot inside which wasn't revealed until thicknessing down to final depth..

it is finished with pure tung oil

hope you like it

regards,

Ben.

Attachments

• QS_beech_bbe_board-1.jpg
    QS_beech_bbe_board-1.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 646
  • QS_beech_bbe_board-2.jpg
    QS_beech_bbe_board-2.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 646
  • QS_beech_bbe_board-3.jpg
    QS_beech_bbe_board-3.jpg
    692.1 KB · Views: 646
  • QS_beech_bbe_board-4.jpg
    QS_beech_bbe_board-4.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 646
  • QS_beech_bbe_board-5.jpg
    QS_beech_bbe_board-5.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 646
  • QS_beech_bbe_board-6.jpg
    QS_beech_bbe_board-6.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 646
  • QS_beech_bbe_board-7.jpg
    QS_beech_bbe_board-7.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 646
  • QS_beech_bbe_board-8.jpg
    QS_beech_bbe_board-8.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 646
  • QS_beech_bbe_board-9.jpg
    QS_beech_bbe_board-9.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 646
  • QS_beech_bbe_board-10.jpg
    QS_beech_bbe_board-10.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 646
Love the beech. One of my favorite woods that's not as widely available here, but works like (is?) a fruit wood, planes and saws nicely, finishes nicely with natural finishes and darkens to a lovely color with some handling.

D_W":107dyot0 said:
Love the beech. One of my favorite woods that's not as widely available here, but works like (is?) a fruit wood, planes and saws nicely, finishes nicely with natural finishes and darkens to a lovely color with some handling.

yes very similar to fruit woods, but something like cherry is a bit softer, I found it a bit more time consuming to saw through, probably seemed to take 2 x longer than oak, other than that lovely wood to work with, one of my favourites so far.

Yes, resistant to hand sawing (and a little more to planing, but not bad), but the extra density makes it less fibrous feeling than cherry and far more durable.

Beech has little market over here other than railroad ties and furniture frames (as in unseen), which is a shame. Lots of it gets wasted while the market is inundated with red oak and hard maple.

thetyreman":wkbu0kwv said:

very tight growth rings and blunts blades really fast but otherwise happy with how it turned out,

there was an unexpected hidden knot inside which wasn't revealed until thicknessing down to final depth..

hope you like it

regards,

Ben.

I would be feeling very smug indeed if I had made that. The great thing about chopping boards is that you use them every day, so you will get to feel smug about it daily. I have one (that warped, obviously), but it is still, months later, in price of place. I may even start actully using it at some point, but right now it is too pretty to be abused. I still get to chose not to use it, every day. Your board is way, way above my humble attempt.

Would I be right in assuming this is all hand tools? Even more kudos!

Trainee neophyte":385sjpib said:
thetyreman":385sjpib said:

hope you like it

regards,

Ben.

I would be feeling very smug indeed if I had made that. The great thing about chopping boards is that you use them every day, so you will get to feel smug about it daily. I have one (that warped, obviously), but it is still, months later, in price of place. I may even start actully using it at some point, but right now it is too pretty to be abused. I still get to chose not to use it, every day. Your board is way, way above my humble attempt.

Would I be right in assuming this is all hand tools? Even more kudos!

thankyou for that, I did use hand tools only yes.

Back