Quangsheng Small Shoulder Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a couple of small shoulder planes for school. Unfortunately we just don't have the money to buy up market tools and so I've been looking at the Quangsheng model. At less than half the price of the alternatives they are very tempting, if they work or can be made to work.
Does anyone have an experience of the Quangsheng 91 small plane or could recommend any other low price alternative?
thanks
Simon

Simon,

I owned (briefly) the Luban QS 92 shoulder plane, which is the slightly big brother of the 91

I have to say it was a very nice plane, well made and performed admirably. I doubt you would regret buying the brand.

Good luck with it.

David

Low price alternative, I'd say teach the kids to work shoulders with a chisel, and buy and refurbish a couple of 5 quid rabbet planes.

I think most people need a rabbet plane more than a shoulder plane, anyway.

My 2d's worth:

I have several QS tools and all have been beautifully made and very useable - I consider the brand to be amongst the best value for money I have found (apart from Veritas stuff bought in Euros!!).

I have not bought a QS shoulder plane, but have found their low angle rebating block plane excellent.

I've also got an Axminster Rider 3-in-1 Shoulder Plane (currently described confusingly as a 2-in1 on the website) and have found this a well made and useful tool. This plane may be a bit larger than the size you're looking for, but it's versatile.

Cheers, W2S

+1 for Axi's Rider, excellent value for the money and works as well as you could want

Back