Quangsheng No. 5 Bedrock Pattern Jack Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shim20

Established Member
Reaction score
what are peoples thoughts on this compared to lie nielsen no5? looks a nice plane for the price? ive got the urge to get a new plane to got in my new tool box im making :lol:
thanks all

Hi Shim,

OhDear asked about this in his thread "Questions about novice tool purchases" (now slipped back to page 2 of the index). He opted for a Quengsheng No.5 in the end. I don't know if he's purchased one yet. It might be worth a PM to him.

Of course a Lie-Nielsen (or Clifton) would be better... :twisted:

Cheers, Vann.

thanks vann, will have a look, i would get a clifton because im a fan of british made things, but ive got the no7 which is a lovely tool, but i find the sole of the plane a bit soft marks easily, it dosent bother me just thought maybe give something else a try? ive never had a LN before but im sure would be up to the job.

matthewwh":sjbcgtae said:
With free delivery, free returns and a lifetime guarantee (link) why not order a Quangsheng and have a look at it for yourself?

it is tempting when you say that,
how much dose it weigh? kind of important as i want to keep the weight down much as poss as have to carry toolbox a long way every day.
thanks

I got a quangsheng from workshop heaven and very pleased with it. As an "amateur" it feels like a pro tool and high quality, easy to use. I have not checkked flat / square etc to a massive extent, ie to millionths of a mm, and don't have huge experience with larger irons etc... however I got a number of stanley and records from the bay, from 3 to 7 (all bar 5), and the QS seems to be superior to my mostly untrained eye. Do not regret getting it, and the LN/Clifton/Veritas being so much more expensive sold it for me.

If I was a hand tool fetishist and spent 8 hours a day in workshop, might be different, however as I use the #5 probably 45 mins a week (plus some for fun flattening of old boards just to try it), i think it fits quality vs budget perfectly.

Well I am in my workshop all day and the Quangshengs are my plane of choice!

shim20":y318i22f said:
matthewwh":y318i22f said:
With free delivery, free returns and a lifetime guarantee (link) why not order a Quangsheng and have a look at it for yourself?

it is tempting when you say that,
how much dose it weigh? kind of important as i want to keep the weight down much as poss as have to carry toolbox a long way every day.
thanks

I think you'll find it weighs a bit more than the equivalent Stanley or Record as the castings are quite thick. I used to have a QS 6 and it was heavier than my Stanley 7.
Some people would say it was a good thing.

I doubt if it will make much difference on a 5 but could do on larger planes.

i could never buy one because they're made by a company called quangsheng, I know they're probably really good for the price but I cant get past the name. I also wouldn't buy a Kia or a Hyundai, opting instead for a manufacturer of proven quality like volkswagen or BMW. If I bought a quangsheng I'd be forever thinking that I should have saved up a little more and got a LN

jettagreg":1hpciw9t said:
i could never buy one because they're made by a company called quangsheng, I know they're probably really good for the price but I cant get past the name. I also wouldn't buy a Kia or a Hyundai, opting instead for a manufacturer of proven quality like volkswagen or BMW. If I bought a quangsheng I'd be forever thinking that I should have saved up a little more and got a LN

The Quanshshengs are good value for money, especially when backed up by exemplary customer service like Matthew's. But the "real thing" (Lie Nielsen or Clifton) is definitely worth the extra, and the whole undercutting/cloning business leaves a nasty taste with me,so having dipped my toes in the water a couple of times I've personally decided not to buy any more of these products. Not that I expect this decision to make anyone quake in their boots,,, :)

John - I imagine that LN slavishly copying Stanley designs weighs just as heavily on your conscience then, does it? They may be made to greater tolerances, but they are direct copies nonetheless. At least Quangsheng do it to a budget better suited to more folk. But I think this line of discussion has been brought up many times before.

Adam S

Kalimna":3a7aei8c said:
John - I imagine that LN slavishly copying Stanley designs weighs just as heavily on your conscience then, does it? They may be made to greater tolerances, but they are direct copies nonetheless. At least Quangsheng do it to a budget better suited to more folk. But I think this line of discussion has been brought up many times before.

Adam S

It's not really a matter of conscience. Just a little King Canute-like gesture. And a genuinely-held belief (based on experience) that Clifton/Lie Nielsen are well worth the extra.
Like you say, the discussion has been brought up before. I'm not claiming any great originality of thought. But I assume it's OK with you if I have an opinion?

John - absolutely you are entitled to your own opininion. But when you state that you dont want to purchase some product because of copying (amongst other reasons. quote - cloning leaves a nasty taste), it rather contradicts your further opinion that LN is acceptable and preferable, despite their own cloning. I certainly wouldnt argue with you regarding the higher quality product, merely the nature of whether one company copied and should be criticised for it, yet another company who copied, did it earlier and better should not be.

Please accept my apologies if you took offence.

Adam

Kalimna":2ty1kd9o said:
John - absolutely you are entitled to your own opininion. But when you state that you dont want to purchase some product because of copying (amongst other reasons. quote - cloning leaves a nasty taste), it rather contradicts your further opinion that LN is acceptable and preferable, despite their own cloning. I certainly wouldnt argue with you regarding the higher quality product, merely the nature of whether one company copied and should be criticised for it, yet another company who copied, did it earlier and better should not be.

Please accept my apologies if you took offence.

Adam

Adam, no offence taken, and no need to apologise. To me, the point is not the originality or otherwise of the designs. It is that Lie Nielsen etc have invested significant time, effort and money in supplying a gap in the market for high quality hand tools when tools of the quality required were no longer being produced by the original manufacturers. They did not drive Stanley/record etc out of business by copying and undercutting them, as I fear may be the case with Quangsheng vs Lie Nielsen/Clifton. I'm sure that this will have been discussed ad nauseum before I joined the forum, so please don't let me steer this thread off topic if raising the matter again is unwelcome.

i went for the LN in the end as i wanted to try something diffrent from my clifton, as also there's enough imports from china coming in this country as it is, im sure the quangsheng is a good plane id just rather have something i know will last. and just for the record i own an old toyota hilux :lol:

JohnCee":1f6aajiv said:
Adam, no offence taken, and no need to apologise. To me, the point is not the originality or otherwise of the designs. It is that Lie Nielsen etc have invested significant time, effort and money in supplying a gap in the market for high quality hand tools when tools of the quality required were no longer being produced by the original manufacturers. They did not drive Stanley/record etc out of business by copying and undercutting them, as I fear may be the case with Quangsheng vs Lie Nielsen/Clifton. I'm sure that this will have been discussed ad nauseum before I joined the forum, so please don't let me steer this thread off topic if raising the matter again is unwelcome.

I think you made a good point but there is a huge gap between the prices paid for a good quality used stanley/record and a LN/Clifton. I think that a Quangsheng neatly fills it with something that someone with limited money like myself could purchase knowing they had a good quality tool that required little work but didn't cost them an arm and a leg.

That being said if I could afford a LN or a Cliffie I'd buy one in a heartbeat. :D

Matthew at really made me feel like a cherished customer when I bought my QS No7 from him at Workshop Heaven =D> .

I would like to be able to replace all my Secondhand No3 to 7, Record and Stanley through him.

Needless to say I'm very pleased with "the-bang-for-my-buck".

I have been saving every penny since the moment I removed the No7 from its box (saving the Camellia oil impregnated cloth in a old tobacco tin ;o)) I expect to have saved enough on my Secondary (D&T) teachers wage to get a No. 62 Low Angle Jack Plane in two weeks time ........... :lol: Whoooo!

Latest posts

Back