Quangsheng / Dakota hand planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luthier D J

Reaction score
So, I'm sure this subject must have been covered before but....
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Dakota hand planes being sold on the Rutlands website and the Quangsheng planes at Workshop Heaven? I'm in the market for a new fore plane and there is a £40 odd difference between them. Are the Workshop Heaven planes superior in any way?
I've finally given up trying to get the sole flat on my old Stanley type 11 and don't really want to splash out on a Lie Nielsen.
Many thanks in advance!

By all means buy a new Plane but there is a (relatively) easy method to flattening a hand Plane. I simply use a straightedge and 'spot sand' with an aggressive grit on a small block of wood. I guess it's a bit like using an engineers scraping tool but with sandpaper. Check length, across the width and corner to corner. You can also use the thinnest feeler gauge and place the Plane on a flat reference surface. I've never found that necessary though. I found that the more normal method of using abrasive on a long piece of glass was a time consuming method.

Welcome to the forum Luthier.

I would go with the QS from Workshop Heaven. I have certainly heard that not all the planes coming out of the factory in China are of the same quality.

Mignal is right that you can fettle an old plane but there can be other problems apart from sole flatness which are less easy to fix, and the QS will give you a starting point which is likely to be superior to where you might end up with an old plane. The QS blades are absolutely superb.

Jim

Even if the planes were exactly the same, i would go with WSH for the customer care alone. :)

Thanks, I may have a go at the sole of my old Stanley using the small block and abrasive method before heading for Workshop Heaven...

I've got a QS number 7 from WSH and it's a joy to use. There was a slight problem with the first one sent out and they arranged a courier next day to deliver a new one and pick up the old one. Spot on on all regards (including price).

Luthier D J":1m1wy51p said:
Thanks, I may have a go at the sole of my old Stanley using the small block and abrasive method before heading for Workshop Heaven...
The block needs to be flat - i use 10mm glass i got from a job. Plus it needs to be longer than the plane sole, so you can get a good forwards/ backwards stroke :)

What are the names on these planes sold by Rutlands and Workshop Heaven?

Rutlands lists them as "Qiangsheng" brand planes, which is the name of the company/factory in China who makes them; Cixi City Qiangsheng Tools Co Ltd (or Qiangsheng Tools):

http://www.qstools.com/

On their website Qiangsheng Tools also has the "Lu Ban" brand name although it's not clear how it's used on what tools.

Whereas Workshop Heaven calls them "Quangsheng" (different second letter in spelling), is that name on the planes?

Note that "quang" isn't a normal spelling in Chinese, you won't find it in a dictionary.

JohnPW":1e962i5a said:
What are the names on these planes sold by Rutlands and Workshop Heaven?

Rutlands lists them as "Qiangsheng" brand planes, which is the name of the company/factory in China who makes them; Cixi City Qiangsheng Tools Co Ltd (or Qiangsheng Tools):

http://www.qstools.com/

On their website Qiangsheng Tools also has the "Lu Ban" brand name although it's not clear how it's used on what tools.

Whereas Workshop Heaven calls them "Quangsheng" (different second letter in spelling), is that name on the planes?

Note that "quang" isn't a normal spelling in Chinese, you won't find it in a dictionary.
Not sure if either the rutlands or WSH versions have names stamped on them? The only ones i have seen with names are the woodriver, jumma and another one sold in germany.

Mone of mine are marked. My Rutland's large chisel plane is marked Dakota on the wooden box. All my Workshop Heaven planes and spoke shaves have Quangsheng marked on the card sleeves that go over the boxes. I think there is more attention to detail on he WH tools.

carlb40":3sjg21v7 said:
Luthier D J":3sjg21v7 said:
The block needs to be flat - i use 10mm glass i got from a job. Plus it needs to be longer than the plane sole, so you can get a good forwards/ backwards stroke :)
I think Mignal was suggesting using a small block to abrade the high points, not for checking overall flatness.

Nice review Chris.

I too prefer the half sizes and wish they would produce a 4 1/2, 5 1/2 and maybe even a No 8 :)

Chris your finding concur with my own experience of QS, I have seven sets within my students tool kits and have been using them day in day out for a few years. Your review is spot on, if they add 1/2 sizes and improve the threads/adjuster diameter LN will be a very worried man.
We had a similar thread running new-chisels-t76010-60.html
check out the last page if interested. The soles are very flat, the blades come well prepped the only feedback we sometimes get is that the mouth can do with a little fettling. Sometimes they slip threw the net with a slight burr that catches on the frog but its soon sorted with a diamond lap.
Cheers Peter

Completely agree with you, Chris. The only thing that I would add is that the QS blade takes a better, longer lasting edge than any of the A2 blades that I have tried.

Jim

Back