quality workwear

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippymart

Established Member
Reaction score
Been wearing various swedish workwear now for last 20 years( snickers,blaklader,fristads etc) and came across a company called Engelbert Strauss based in Farnborough near me and was wondering if anyone has tried their clothing as they have a hell of a selection and its cheaper than the swedish makes.
Cheers
Martin

I have had their stuff for about 4 years.

Wears well and washes well, the only downside is they will send at least 5 catalogues every time they issue a new one.

But it is good kit.

Tom

My trousers have worn very well, although I tend to buy the t shirts and tops more than anything.

But I still have my first pair of trousers from them and although they are a bit scruffy to wear to customers houses are still going strong as diy trousers.

And as others have said are very comfy.

Tom

I wear strauss bib and brace and think they are great,they also do broad fit foot wear which are great too. 'Great company to deal with would def' recomend them.

pswallace":7t1ld6vm said:
strauss bib and brace

Thanks for the tip, I see they do them in red. I wear a red overall jacket at work but the matching bib & brace went walkies long ago...

I wear englebert strauss trousers. They are very good for wear! i tend to wear mine every day, and do plenty of crawling on my knees. Got the active ES last time as the knees are stronger. They tend to last me 8 to 10 months whereas previous trousers (snickers etc) would only last 5 or 6. Only place my strauss have broken are on the knees. Id also recommend the uprated knee pads (red ones).

Cheers, James,

I recently ordered 3 pairs of 'prestige' trousers from engelbert strauss, here's some advice I'd to give anyone thinking of purchasing clothing from them.

Don't order from engelbert strauss if you need your items urgently, not because they take ages to despatch them - just that you will need to be prepared to return them, when the do arrive.

They don't make a 32" waist trouser because apparently "they're a European company and they don't make that size"
Don't assume that the 31" waist trouser with flexi belt are made to compensate for the fact they don't make a 32" - they're not.
Also don't assume that 'regular' length size means regular ie. 32" leg - it doesn't, 31" waist is also 31" length - which means you're either wearing half-masters or you're taking a trip to - "I'm street me! I wear my trousers off my ass" land.

Don't assume that sending a note to engelbert-strauss asking whether or not you've been sent the short length will be responded to - it won't

The quality is alright - the sizing and customer service however are not...

Sometimes it's better to stick to what you know.....

Despite the prices I'll be taking my custom back to snickers workwear

Been through virtually every brand you can think of and settled on Engelbert Strauss about four years ago. I recommended them on another thread recently as it happens. I'm wearing a pair of their e.s.motion trousers now :)

They are actually a German company with their head office in Biebergemünd.

Engelbert Strauss "the men thing for real men" :lol: maybe it just doesn't translate too well!
Dickies trousers and knee pads are good. If the knee pads go bits of old Karrimat are cheaper.
I just bought some screwfix boots (De Walt) which I was doubtful about, but they are very comfortable and as cheap as chips.

Any recommendations for some toasty warm trousers or should I just buy some long johns ?

Spending a lot more time in the garage and its only going to get colder in there.

Engelbert Strauss do a winter version of most of their gear with extra quilted linings. Either that or pop to Tesco for the thermal long johns, IIRC they have them for about £4 a pair.

Mr_P":3qqaq3s7 said:
Any recommendations for some toasty warm trousers or should I just buy some long johns ?

Spending a lot more time in the garage and its only going to get colder in there.

I got these; very toasty-warm and I like the natural fabric.;

http://www.arborwear.co.uk/index.php?ro ... duct_id=69

Not necessarily cheap (remember to add on VAT and postage) but well made. Nice high waist (no bicycle parking device on show), loads of belt loops and thick enough to kneel on the floor for short periods. So toasty warm they were almost too warm to wear in doors in October. Very loose crotch so easy to climb around in. Try this code for 10% discount;

HBAW1012

I've no experience of Engelbert Straus site clothing but I'm a great fan of Dickies' work-wear. I wore their warm clothing during two winters working on a construction unit of The Canadian Pacific Railway in British Colombia - they were so good. I believe there clothing range is available here in the UK. I heartily recommend them.
Cheers,
John

Mr_P":2jl8fk45 said:

As a rule several thin layers is preferable to fewer thick ones, so I'd go for long johns, 2 pairs even if it gets really nippy. Merino wool ones are pricey but much nicer than synthetic and don't pong so much - you can wear them longer between washes.

Back