Quality timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyraver

Reaction score
Hello, hope someone can help.
A customer has asked me to make a pair of "heirloom" quality Swedish painted cupboards. Traditionally made from pine, I am asking where I might get some good quality QS timber to enhance the longevity of the items.

ThanksAndy

I buy rough sawn swedish pine from henshaw timber in Baildon they deliver nationwide.

It's good stuff with some boards knot free.

It's ungraded so you would have to pick your boards.

Comes in 5x1 6x2 and 6x2.

Avoid the construction graded stuff as it's rubbish!

Cheers James

Last edited:
I buy rough sawn swedish pine from henshaw timber in Baildon.
It's good stuff with some boards knot free.

It's ungraded so you would have to pick your boards.

Comes in 5x1 6x2 and 6x2.

Avoid the construction graded stuff as it's rubbish!

Cheers James

Roughly what do you normally pay for those James?

You might be better specifying the "pine" you want like southern yellow pine, douglas fir, etc this is often better quality than the redwood.
I went to get some "joinery grade" redwood yesterday to build a loft bed and the quality was not good, last time I went to the same place it was far better.

Ollie

You won't really get 1/4 sawn softwood.

The nearest you might get is say 32 x 225 or similar and then split it into 2 to get 37 x 95 for door stiles....which might slightly more vertical end grain

Most thinner softwood sections are from sideboards and will have a smiley face on end grain

If it's painted could you forget tradition and make it out of Tulipwood, more stable than regular pine, perfect for painting and it's not that much more expensive?

I would avoid your average pine in this instance, redwood (sawn joinery), it is not dry enough from the yard for your job. You would have to allow at least 6 months in a warm & dry workshop. Southern/yellow pine would be a better bet, averages 10% moisture content from what I have had over the years and seasons quickly. Tulipwood also comes in dry though it has a habit of buckling, nice timber If you get a good board.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have offered the customer a sample of tulipwood. awaiting response

Back