quality softwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
We replaced a bed yesterday (don't ask why)

Decided to strip base down to salvage some usuable parts and if you look at the attached picture.

WHERE COULD YOU BUY quality softwood equal to whats shewn in the photograph? The 6ft. lengths were also of the same quality, only pin sized knots.

In over 50 years of buying softwood retail I have never located a supplier to equal.

2005_0703bed0020.jpg

Perhaps we need to gang up together and buy a lump from an importer?
The fella's down in OZ did something similar last month.

Hi DW

Have you ever looked at C16 or C24 graded softwood ?

I got some a while back to use in strengthening the roof of my workshop (2 wooden stable units which I knocked into one) and was surprised at how clear it was in comparison to the ordinary softwood from the builders merchants.

I looked into how the grading is done and although C16 and C24 etc are a strength grading, the actual grading process is carried out visually by selecting timber with fewer & smaller knots, checks & cracks etc.

The downside is that it is usually only available in bigger sizes - 2x4 or 2x6 minimum so may need ripping/resawing depending on the application. It also looks as though it may only be available treated from some BMs - not a problem if its going to be painted, but the stuff I had had a decidedly pale yellow washed look to it.

Might be worth considering anyway.

Richard

My local builders merchant stock a lot of timber and the best quality stuff is referred to as "joinery grade" (typically 2" x 10") with a price to match :shock: . I think relatively few but small pin knots add some interest and this stuff is fairly dense yellow pine but I don't know the actual species name. Personally I also like Parana pine with it's interesting colour contrasts.

Ike

Back