Quality plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOTTNICK

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how I can ensure ply I am buying is top quality (it's an important project for my son's music studio). Might be interested in veneered, but again, want to know what to look for / ask for. Probably need to purchase on-line.
Advice appreciated.
Cheers
Nick

NOTTNICK":2q946xyg said:
Just wondering how I can ensure ply I am buying is top quality (it's an important project for my son's music studio). Might be interested in veneered, but again, want to know what to look for / ask for. Probably need to purchase on-line.
Advice appreciated.
Cheers
Nick
Best advice I would give is to go and look first.

Check for voids and even layers.

Typically Birch plywood from Finland and northern Europe is among the best.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

My tuppence on this is from unhappy experience.

The A (never seen) - B - S - BB - CP - C scale, apart from being inconsistently used, also only describes the face layer. What you want from ply for furniture (or speaker housings) is as much about the interior as the face.

I'd suggest you look at birch ply (aka baltic birch) with as many layers as possible. This is the ply that's used for furniture and will mostly be B-B or B-BB.

Unfortunately some of the ply for sale that's described as baltic birch, isn't. So best to see in person or, if you must order online, use Lathams or similar and discuss with them first.

Deadeye":8nu0kll3 said:
baltic birch, isn't
Ask if it's Baltic "through" birch e.g. it also has birch in all the interior layers as well and ask for a sample - you could plane it or rip it to verify the contents are as described (or expected/anticipated).

Back