quality of wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderWoman

Established Member
Reaction score
Is sycamore considered a good quality/superior wood?eg if Oak were top league,where would sycamore be?

If I was using ink on sycamore how could I stop it from bleeding into the wood?

Thank you

Is it the best?? Hmm.....down to personal choice I think. I like it a lot though, nice quality British hardwood.
Try sealing the sycamore with shellac or thin varnish and let it dry. You should be able to write on it without it sinking in.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Philly":pyuvh0k9 said:
I like it a lot though, nice quality British hardwood.

I thought sycamore was an introduced alien species? (that is felled but not replanted?)

No denying though its a nice wood. Apparently the Europeans buy trucks loads from over here, as its very pale. W L Wests said its very difficult to dry properly, but once stabalised, its fine to work.

Adam

Sycamore (British) Maple (Canada) are nearly the same IMMSMC, just grown on different continents.

I made my kitchen from sycamore, really nice wood to work with and very little movement if its gone through the kiln drying process. Sycamore and oak are my two favourites for working with.

Main difference between sycamore/maple and oak, ash etc is that the first are diffuse porous whereas the second type are ring porous IIRC
If you don't want the growth lines to show through an opaque finish, then use the first type
John

Back