Quadratic Residue Diffuser project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
QRD Diffuser project,

there's probably over 100 hours put into this, it's mostly handtools with the exception of the vertical slats which were cut on the bandsaw then planed to final thickness.

It scatters sound, I built it to improve my studio, both for recording and mixing, it will go on the backwall fixed with french cleats, and it's very heavy, I recon around 35KG but don't have a scale to measure it.

very happy with the mitred dovetails but it took a few prototype joints and very careful planning,

quite an involved project and very challenging at times, I almost gave up a few times, it has taken me over 6 months 🤪

regards,

Ben.

Attachments

• finished_QRD_diffuser_tall_1-1-2.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser_tall_1-1-2.jpg
    997 KB · Views: 61
  • finished_QRD_diffuser_tall_1-1-1.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser_tall_1-1-1.jpg
    991.1 KB · Views: 62
  • finished_QRD_diffuser-7.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser-7.jpg
    925.4 KB · Views: 64
  • finished_QRD_diffuser-6.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser-6.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 65
  • finished_QRD_diffuser-5.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser-5.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 64
  • finished_QRD_diffuser-4.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser-4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • finished_QRD_diffuser-3.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser-3.jpg
    949 KB · Views: 61
  • finished_QRD_diffuser-2.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser-2.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 58
  • finished_QRD_diffuser-1.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser-1.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Very nice, and an impressive bit of work.
.....but what does it do? Cut down echoes or interference?
Duncan
(who has lousy hearing, so doesn't need a QRD!)

Very nice, and an impressive bit of work.
.....but what does it do? Cut down echoes or interference?
Duncan
(who has lousy hearing, so doesn't need a QRD!)

hi duncan it breaks up soundwaves so that when they hit it they spread out in a semicircular pattern making the sound appear wider, taller and creates the illusion psychoacoustically of more depth, it was invented by dr schoeder a professor of acoustics in germany through his experiments with sound, it's hard to explain unless you've experienced it but it reflects back the sound in a more pleasant way compared to just a bare wall.

I nailed a large thick rug to my back wall it seems to work well.

Very nice dovetails.

Pete

That's a lovely piece of work.
Is it even possible to go out and buy one? If not, it's a brilliant reward for the time and effort you have put in to building up your skill level.

That's a lovely piece of work.
Is it even possible to go out and buy one? If not, it's a brilliant reward for the time and effort you have put in to building up your skill level.

thanks Andy, you can't really buy them no at least not to this standard of joinery from what I found online.

Clever! Not just sound deadening like rugs on the wall, but actually modifies the sound. Perhaps something like the different sound effects generated by surround sound sound speakers which are in part due to timing differences. So I'm told - I'm no sound engineer!
If you simplified the making process, I reckon you'd have a nice little earner on your hands
Duncan

hi duncan it breaks up soundwaves so that when they hit it they spread out in a semicircular pattern making the sound appear wider, taller and creates the illusion psychoacoustically of more depth, it was invented by dr schoeder a professor of acoustics in germany through his experiments with sound, it's hard to explain unless you've experienced it but it reflects back the sound in a more pleasant way compared to just a bare wall.

Well, it is really the modern equivalent of the baroque church. Or a cave; the best acoustic I ever played in was the concert hall inside the rock of Gibraltar. All those stalactites to scatter the sound!

It also eliminates 'slap echoes' from parallel hard surfaces, which causes severe listening stress without an obvious cause. Nice piece of work, Ben.

Back