Quadrant bookcases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackteaonesugar

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd share a few pics of my latest project, some bookcases with quadrant ends, laminated curved doors and led lighting.

PXL_20211110_164322157-02.jpeg

The whole thing was made in 4 vertical sections which are linked together on the base by 50mm wide vertical strips in Oak.

There was a lot of different radius templates I had to make to take care of laminating the doors, the solid shelf lippings and the various panels.
PXL_20211110_164129883-01.jpeg

It's predominantly made from 19mm Oak veneered mdf, with solid Oak lippings, bendy mdf for the curved doors.

I had a go at spraying this myself too with a cheap HVLP gun from Rutlands, and am pretty pleased with the results.

PXL_20211109_091311341-01.jpeg

PXL_20211110_164146466-01.jpeg

PXL_20211105_151841541-01.jpeg

PXL_20211110_164346577-01.jpeg

Cheers.
Oli 👊

Very nice, ditto what Peter said, very clean lines. The curves really make it a bit special IMO.

I don't think I've ever made curved doors. I guess you made a form, clamped the bendy MDF to that and glued on a backer sheet? What did you use for the backer sheet? A bit of flexible ply, or something else?

I don't think I've ever made curved doors. I guess you made a form, clamped the bendy MDF to that and glued on a backer sheet? What did you use for the backer sheet? A bit of flexible ply, or something else?

The bendy mdf is basically kerfed 6mm mdf.
I just used 3 layers with all kerfs facing inwards, so no backing sheet as such.

The Oak in the finger pulls is actually a bit of a cheat.

I cut the pull shape, then used 2-pack filler to fill the voids of the kerfs in the mdf, then cut it again, then used fine body filler and did the same, then basically epoxied a piece of Oak Constructional Veneer on the back of the pull.

Would have been nice to let a solid piece in beforehand but because there's no outer layer as such, you'd see the glue line coming through.

That looks great, it has beautiful proportions. Substantial but not heavy.

Is the back panel painted and what's the round detail at the end of the plinth ?

Nice design. How did you join the horizontal shelves to the verticals ?
They're just biscuited and then screwed from the outside faces. None of that is seen so it works well.

51674321111_6d1b92577b_o.jpg

Here's the bendy mdf on the former. The doors were made up of 3 layers.

51674316911_0f37e5d861_o.jpg

Full album of making images Here on Flickr

Last edited:
That looks great, it has beautiful proportions. Substantial but not heavy.

Is the back panel painted and what's the round detail at the end of the plinth ?

Thanks. Yes the back panel is painted in some Dulux colour, Bakers Flour I think. Used my HVLP gun for that.
The little circle on the plinth is a disc of Oak with my makers logo branded into it.
That's not a great image. It was cleaned up a bit from that so is crisper.

51675204055_d194abf8cc_o.jpg

Back