PVA GLUE GONE WHITE?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samlarsen

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a stash of PVA glue which I bought in bulk a year or more ago. Its the waterproof stuff "everbuild brand" I think.

All was well last time I used any from the tub, but recently I noticed it has stopped drying clear as before, and has a dusty apearance when dry now.

Its possible that it has been exposed to frost in my workshop and I now notice it says on the tub preserve from frost. Any ideas?

Is the glue still OK to use? or is it weakened? I tried a little test for strength but that was inconclusive. Any ideas how to tell if its OK?

Christmas Cheers to All.

Sam

Sam....
I hate to say this but it sounds like its toast... PVA being water based really hates to be frozen...

Sounds like frost, I've had it dry like this when used in very cold weather. I now store my large bottles inside and just keep a small anount in the workshop.

Jason

Cheers for the advice. Looks like you have confirmed what I thought, I just hate throwing (anything) away!!

Cheers

Don't throw it away!

Use it as sealer for end grain to stop end-checking.

Or failing that, donate it to your friendly neighbourhood woodturner, who will us it to prevent end-checking! :D

Update:

Tested the glue in the warmth of the house last night. Tried to break the bond this morning, it simply split the wood apart as you would expect with good glue. Seems to dry clear when used in the warm environment too!

Cheers for the help.

Had some PVA go white when it sat in a wet environment for a while. Anyone ever seen this? Wrecked the joint, too -- just pulled apart, and the glue was like rubber.

Back