Puzzles and games

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
These pieces are not new but I am experimenting with a new website and took some photos of a few pieces that were not on the existing site.

This crib board in oak was made in 1997. The steel and brass pegs were turned for me by a work colleague

cribboard640x480webqual.jpg

The geometric puzzles are fun and easy to make on a scroll saw or, I guess a band saw, and can be decepetively diffficult to put together especially if one does not have an idea of the size of the completed puzzle.

I recommend when doing geometric objects to stack cut with the grain direction in each layer at 90 degrees to the adjacent layer. Each puzzle is then made up from parts of each layer (bottom right) preventing an easy solution as can be seen in the circular puzzle. The Teddy bear was the first piece I ever made on the scroll saw.

puzzles640x480webqual.jpg

Andy

Nice work, Andy.

The geometric puzzles look super for a few small Christmas gifts - mind if I pinch the idea? Some spalted beech, or similar, stack cut as you suggest, should cause some suitable confusion in the aftermath of Christmas dinner! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Andy, Nice cutting.......Have a question on the puzzles.....Do you use a backer of any type for them to be put together on?....the geometric ones are what I'm curoius about...I like the idea....what type of finish?....
Very many of Jaco's beers....and I wouldn't be able to put them together....lol
Lin

Trev, be my guest they are not my designs, probably from P Spielman except bottom right which I found on the web somewhere.

Lin, I did not use a backer on any of these. The two square ones at the top are from solid wood and are perhaps 1/4" thick. The larger square puzzle (bottom right) is cut from 3 or 4 type of 4mm ply (some of which was oak faced on one side).

I use Liberon finishing oil on just about everything although the ply puzzle is unfinished and has been for at least 3 years :oops: It does not show in the picture but the edges have not even been sanded. My task for the next 11 weeks is to make some trays to put that puzzle on - I have 4 of them to do.

Andy

Back