Puukko

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere Pekka that "Swedish" steel actually comes from Sheffield...and then they sell it to Japan...I think that might have been a "WOODBLOKE" story but I'm sure there is some truth in it.

Didn't the Japanese nick all the anchor chains from ships from Sweden when they docked for their steel making and the Swedes bought the anchor chains from Sheffield.

I bet this anecdote starts a riot!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Happy New Year to you too mate...I love that steel whoever made it!!

Cheers

Jimi

jimi43":veaw3w51 said:
I read somewhere Pekka that "Swedish" steel actually comes from Sheffield...and then they sell it to Japan...I think that might have been a "WOODBLOKE" story but I'm sure there is some truth in it.

The iron came from Sweden, and a majority of japanese blue or white paper steel is still refined from Swedish steel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucible_steel

They have the world's best best iron ore around there with no traces of the common impurities that would ruin the steel quality. And when Finland was a part of Sweden (till 1809) they imported the ore to us as they had run out of forests and it was easier to transport ore than transporting the coke for the furnaces.

Pete, if you intend to make a sheath with a visible wooden tip instead of just a last inside the leatherwork, you will want to thin the leather down quote a bit around the wooden part. Frankly, I prefer the full leather sheath to the ones with a wooden tip, just because my father's favorite puukko was made with one and it really was the one I have tried to copy to my designs.

Pekka

Thanks Pekka I will bare that in mind.

I have some Rosewood that is nearly black that might look good, I also have some bog oak but that might affect the steel !

Pete

The blade is silver steel (that's what Santa told me :) ), so it should not be too easily affected by the bog oak. You should not put the knife to the sheath anyway without drying the blade. If the blade is dry, the oak should not tarnish the blade anyway.

Pekka

So... wipe the blood off first :-" :shock:

Pete

Well I finished it! I enjoyed the leather work, the staining of the leather could have come out better.

Here is the wooden bit and the tools I used to make it, that Preston spoke shave is great!

The back showing the stitching.

And a close up of the decoration just made when the leather was wet.

Just got to make the belt loop.

Pete

Very nice Pete.
I was wondering where it's sheath had got to.
Well worth the wait,
What leather stains did you use?
Cheers
TT

I used rosewood wood stain! it was the only thing I had.

Pete

=D> Brilliant! I really like the contrast between the two knives: one with a definite (almost exaggerated) Finnish heritage and the other a really different, fresh feel. It's surprising how much the different materials change the feeling you get from them.

Very nice end result, I hope the puukko will serve you well.

Pekka

Thanks Pekka, its set me off it won't be the last Puukko from me.

Pete

If you need a good blade just let me know, I know a few good smiths around. And when you have done a few you'll start thinking of forging the blades yourself... :)

Pekka

Back