Pushfit soil pipe as dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fitted my ducting about 20 years ago and couldn’t afford metal at the time so used plastic soil pipe. I was aware of the static issue so I ran a copper wire along the outside of the pipe fixed at intervals with a self tapping screw that went just through to the inside of the pipe. I took the wire insulation off where it wrapped around the screw. Then I took the wire outside fixed it to a short length of copper pipe and stuck it in the ground. It was easier than trying to run a wire inside the pipe. I‘ve never had any static build up so it seems to work.
Best wishes to Paul, I hope you get better soon.

Having seen a few posts over the years about shocks I've even tried to get shocks off mine to no avail.
All I can say is the outside of the pipe runs do get a bit dusty as do the walls near the pipes but i can hold onto both pipes and the metal cyclone and not get a the slightest tickle.

Whatever opinion one has, it's a fact that you can get static build-up in plastic pipe work. Not only can it give you a shock it can also cause a fire. Yes it might depend on a set of circumstances but it's possible and it's known of around the world's woodworking fraternity.

Taking reasonable safety steps is a good thing and let's be honest the cable and connectors are not going to cost a lot in the grand scheme if things. Also, be mindful that your house or business or life insurance policy may not cover you if you have ignored their or best practice safety advise - they will do anything to get out of paying.

Another way is to fit spiral ducting avoiding the issues mentioned.

Some 12 years ago I looked at my plastic waste pipe ducting which was 110mm and thought I would try to move to a larger size. I was buying a new DC as well which could be adapted to take 200mm pipe.

The issues became apparent early on. Either metal or plastic 200mm pipe was not just very expensive but ruinously so. eg 110 mm plastic was about £16 per 6m whilst 200mm plastic was £49.89 for 3m. Metal was similar.

After many nights trying to reconfigure the costs I decided I had to try to redesign the size and shape of the DC. I ran it down the middle LHS of the workshop in a 10m run and attached 8 offshoots still at 200mm to get to various machines. Most machines need to have a reducer to 110mm close to the actual termination point. My table saw and planer were adapted to 200mm and that has worked well.

Most people should be able to cope with 110mm waste pipe, with aluminium taped joints, a copper wire run down the outside and terminated on the DC.

The warnings about Fire and Shocks are real but overdone. The combustible mix of dust to air to get an explosion is 99.9% not achievable in a home workshop. If you have had such an explosion please speak up but if you have a commercial shop please don't as different characteristics to the dust/air mix apply. Similarly with shocks. If you have "earthed" your static from plastic have you still had a shock.? Let me know. After over 30 yrs of plastic waste pipe operation with copper wires to take the static and aluminium tape to bind the joints I have NEVER had a shock.

Latest posts

Back